Faxing with an ATA

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by giwm, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giwm

giwm New Member

I have a SPA112 hooked up to a fax machine. I set up a Fax extension and configured the SPA112 successfully. I can send a fax without issue, but cannot receive. Like it doesn't even get to the ATA.

My gut is telling me it's something to do with the inbound rule. I have it set to "Send FAX to" and then the fax extension.

I don't want to buy a Welltech just to have that fail as well. Especially since I can only find one vendor for those, like they're well past EoL.

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Do not use "Send Fax To" as that means 3cx is receiving it. Just send the DID to the extension if you want the fax machine to answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. giwm

giwm New Member

@craigreilly

I'm assuming that means I should not set this up as a FAX extension either then, even though that page says, "These are FAX machines connecting via an ATA or a 3rd party FAX software." Because you can't point a DID to a FAX extension.

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

perhaps v15 has changed... my apologies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @giwm

You should use Fax extensions and use those to register your ATA device. Make sure your configuration is correct and go to Dashboard/ system Extensions and check if the Fax extension you created shows as registered. If it does then your FAX extensions is registered. In the inbound rules you should use the option Send Fax to and direct that to the Fax extension. If that does not work you can set the inbound rule to a normal extension and call your FAX number to see if it will ring. If it does then i would look at the configuration of the ATA.

6. Chris ODaniel

Is your SPA112 working with v 15.5? Trying to set mine up. Wasn't sure if it was going to work or not. Did you ever get yours working?

7. giwm

giwm New Member

Nope, I abandoned the idea. Our SIP provider (nexVortex) also offers a really flexible fax service that we're using instead. No one noticed the change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.