Firmware Location for Linux Install?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mfranzel, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfranzel

Hello all,
    I am hoping someone can help. I downloaded the Debian ISO and installed on a virtual machine. I want to use a few "legacy" Polycom 550 phones, but I have to download the 4.0 firmware and move to the provisioning folder. This guide: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/polycom-soundpoint-450-550-560-650-670/ says to put the firmware in C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\XXXXXX however, I can obviously not do that because this is a Linux install and not Windows. Where can I put this firmware on the Linux install? Thanks!

#1 mfranzel, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  2. NetVu IT

Hey, I think you're looking for /var/lib/3cxpbx/Instance1/Data/Http/Interface/provisioning/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

3. Roy Pitchford

Excellent. Now, how does one go about getting files into that folder?

4. Zacharias_3CX

Zacharias_3CX Support Team

Hello @Roy Pitchford

Try to provision the phone to your PBX. Then the PBX should download the firmware at

/var/lib/3cxpbx/Instance1/Data/Http/Interface/provisioning/xxxxxxxxxxxxx//firmware_new folder.

Then you either update the firmware automatic from Management Console or manually from the phone web-interface.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. GiannosC_3CX

GiannosC_3CX Guest

6. Roy Pitchford

I provisioned the phone in the PBX.
    The phone boots OK and shows the assigned extension but won't make or take calls.
    It does not appear in the phones page, so I can't really do anything with the firmware that I can see.
    There does not appear to be any GUI method for accessing the provisioning folder and these vague references for using ftp that show paths with http in them are less than helpful.
    If the firmware management is supposed to be more or less automatic, then I need help figuring out why this is not working. If firmware management is a manual process, then an in-depth tutorial on how this is done in the Linux environment would be very helpful.

Thanks, Roy

7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

It sounds like the phone has downloaded the provisioning details but it is not registered correctly. If the files were correctly extracted to the folder the phone should have downloaded the files automatically upon provisioning. As these are legacy phones they cannot be upgraded through the management console. Please make sure that the files are in the correct location. Also the phones in the same LAN as the phone system?
    You can place the files into the linux by using a FTP client like filezila or winscp. These clients will allow you to connect to the linux machine using your user credentials and you will be able to navigate to the folders and place the files to the correct path.

8. Roy Pitchford

Yes, I finally figured out that the phone was not registering. I tried another phone and that one registered OK.
    The real problem is trying to get the files into the provisioning folder manually.
    I know what an FTP client is, but FTP just does not seem to be enabled. I am using FileZilla and trying to connect to 192.168.x.x:21 with user root and the password I assigned.
    I cannot telnet or ssh in either. I must use the console on the PC to get into the Linux.

9. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you have used the 3CX provided iso then port 22 is enabled for SSH via the IP tables. In case you are using a different port or have used a different ISO to install debian then you need to make sure the IP tables allow you to connect to the machine.

10. Roy Pitchford

Grrrr. This is like pulling teeth...
    Yes, I used the 3cx ISO.
    Forget about SSH - I already said I could use the console to get in and that isn't going to help me get files into the provisioning folder anyway.

The real issue is it won't allow me to connect using FTP. It times out. This is what I really need help with!

11. Roy Pitchford

Anyone there?
    I need to know how to access the provisioning folder with FTP.
    FTP does not appear to be enabled.
    Thanks, Roy

12. gschmidt

Try downloading WINSCP.
    SFTP is the way to go.

13. GiannosC_3CX

GiannosC_3CX Guest

hello Roy,

You can try also the FileZilla client app.

upload_2017-7-18_12-47-9.png

LyonAdmiral likes this.
  14. Roy Pitchford

I hate to get nasty, but evidently, nobody reads these things before replying and offering up their favorite ftp client and how to use them, (or other useless bits) when I clearly stated I have filezilla (and know how to use it).

The problem was that the PBX was not responding to FTP, so I had to assume it just was not running an FTP server. Which FTP client you prefer is irrelevant if the device you want to connect to does not respond to FTP...

At this point, it is all MOOT. I just redid the whole thing on Windows, which worked without a hitch. It was still not as easy as it should have been, but I was able to get my old Polycoms to update firmware. I may come back and try the Linux product again another version or two down the road. Hopefully they will have taken some of the ugly out of this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.