• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentrichburg

Reaction score
I just upgraded to V15. I have performed all the updates as indicated in the upper right menu. (Downloaded all firmware updates, prompts, etc)

When I look at the phones node, it now says not supported firmware and gives firmware version 2.73.0.54 for all my Yealink T28 phones. Other models give a similar unsupported message.

When I select a T28 phone and click on firmware it shows that it will upgrade to FW 2.73.0.60 when I click okay, it goes to the next screen and says:

Firmware install started
Firmware install for SIP-T28 null started. Please wait. (see attachment)

It quickly comes back with "Firmware successfully upgraded"

The firmware does not actually upgrade though.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Firmware upgraded.PNG
    Firmware upgraded.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 1,977
  • firmware started.PNG
    firmware started.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,976
Hi,

I just updated my Yealink T28 from 2.73.0.54 to 2.73.0.60 without any problem.

Does your phone reboot when you are making the FW update? If not, it means that the provisioning URL was changed and phone can't download the new config file (with Firmware Update URL). Check the IP and the HTTP port of the PBX.
If one of them is changed you need to login to the phone and manually change the provisioning URL to the correct one. Then restart the phone.

same problem also for us with yealink! manually updated and all is working work fine...
no problem with Snom

Ciao
Alessanro

I believe the issue depends on how your phones are provisioned. http is only allowed from private IP ranges, so if you have remote phones they will try to grab the firmware via HTTPS. Since prior firmware versions don't have the root cert installed to support the Let's Encrypt cert this will fail.

Same behavior for my test install with a T48G, and I came to the same conclusion. This will definitely not be an easy upgrade for most until the manufacturers publish the new firmwares and we can push them out with our V14 installs. This behavior really needs to be documented, and called attention to as a gotcha.

It is an internal IP/url.

The URL works because I can reprovision and reboot the phone from the 3CX console.

I have experienced the same issue, we had about 20% success on the firmware upgrade. The phones did reboot, but didn't upgrade the firmware. We ended up just manually finding the ROM and upgrading by hand.

Also VPN phones never get the upgrades.

I haven't ran into any problem with firmware upgrades yet on Local Phones, but the things that come to mind are:
- If the system was upgrade from a previous versions to V15, did you use the same HTTP/S ports? Remember, the phones have already been configured to 'point' at the old ones.
- In V15 it is not enough to upgrade the firmware for one e.g. T42, then just restart all the T42s you have, you must one-by-one in the 'Phones' select each extension and press the 'Firmware' button.
- If you have used an Internal FQDN, does the DNS Server the phone gets from the DHCP resolve the FQDN, and if yes, during the installation of V15, did you select the option saying that you have an internal DNS Server?

Same problem with phones in a different internal VLAN. Server is 10.80.8.x, phones are 10.60.20.x. We are using a mix of Yealink and Fanvix X5 models.

Same problem here with yealink t42/t46, i had to factory-reset and re-assign all phones, after that, fw update from console worked fine. just reprovision did not work.

NickD_3CX said:
I haven't ran into any problem with firmware upgrades yet on Local Phones, but the things that come to mind are:
- If the system was upgrade from a previous versions to V15, did you use the same HTTP/S ports? Remember, the phones have already been configured to 'point' at the old ones.
- In V15 it is not enough to upgrade the firmware for one e.g. T42, then just restart all the T42s you have, you must one-by-one in the 'Phones' select each extension and press the 'Firmware' button.
- If you have used an Internal FQDN, does the DNS Server the phone gets from the DHCP resolve the FQDN, and if yes, during the installation of V15, did you select the option saying that you have an internal DNS Server?

Every other area resolves from the FQDN. I do not remember setting the option or not about internal DNS on installaton. Is there a place to check that?

Same problem here with Yealink phones. We are unable to upgrade the firmware. It says it is upgrading "null" , and says it is successful but it is not updating any of our phones.

Hello @TCF,
Are the phones local? Are the phones in the same subnet as the PBX?
What model phones do you have and what rare the current firmware they are running?

Anyone come up with some fixes for this?

I have a mix of T21, T41P, T42G, T46G, T48G and have run into the same issues.

I have just installed 8 T41P sets, all on the same LAN and physical switch. 1 of 8 firmware upgraded fine from factory out of the box, the other 7 won't upgrade. no errors, if I push a reboot or a reprovision from the 3cx console, they response as normal.

With the T48G, I downgraded the firmware manually, did a hardware reset, deleted the provisioning file. Provisioned to the extension, then the firmware upgraded. Seems very flakey

Hey Guys - I just wanted to provide an update, as I've had an identical issue on my end.
After going through logs on the phones, and logs on 3CX - I discovered that all communications from the handset are going over HTTPS.

The yealink Handset config file has it set so that it will allow communications with a trusted SSL Cert, which means it has to be loaded on the device. For testing purposes - I've gone ahead and created a new config template (copying from the 3CX provided), and Disabled the SSL Security settings on the handset.

Once i've done this, the handset receives all commands from the PBX (when its remote), and updates the firmware from the PBX with no issues. There is a way via the config file to specify where the handset should download a secure cert from if you wanted to leave the SSL setting on.

Hope this helps others.

New to this, so needing a little guidance on editing the template. Also, does this affect anything else down the road? Do off-site handsets work fine using this method. We don't have any now, but plan to.

Also, I assume that after editing, I need to re-provision phones, or will it pick up the change during refresh?

So I could edit the file. Let them get settings, then revert back without doing a lot of extra work.

And can this be corrected in future versions to fix the behavior. It doesn't seem like it should be this convoluted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicolasAunixo
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.