Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Solved First time installation issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Colin Mitton, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin Mitton

This is the first time I've installed / setup / used 3CX telephone system and this is being setup for test purposes to see if this will replace our current telephone server.

I've installed the unix os and ran through the basic settings. The server is from in a HyperV VM with 128gb of disk space and 16gb of RAM allocated. As per the recommendations the MAC address of the local servers adaptor has been made static on the VM and time synchronization service has been unchecked. Host server has its firewall profiles turned off.

The 3CX phone system is the free / test version.

First thing to note is SIP Trunks, I've not configured any yet as the initial test is for internal use only. Will add those later assuming everything else goes well!

First issue - Provisioning phone, we have Yealink T38G phones here, I followed the instructions for firmware / factory reset etc. after a few tweaks (as my current PBX tries to intercept the provisioning requests) got the phone connected to the 3CX phone system but with no service? (Registration failed) I've looked at the general settings on the phone and system (IP addresses / accounts / passwords etc.) but they all seem fine. Any ideas on something I've missed.

Second issue - Connecting to our internal server, we have Exchange 2016 running. I've added in the internal IP address / external address / internal address but when I test I get the following message: "The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure."

As I'm not sending out email confirmation I can't get the web client to work either so a bit stuck!

This is my first post so hopefully have covered the required information.

Thanks.

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Colin Mitton

Are the phones and the PBX in the same network? Are you provisioning them as local or remote extensions?
    Check the blacklist on the dashboard in case the phone's IP was blacklisted for some reason.
    If the phones are local can you access their web interface from the server?

3. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

4. Colin Mitton

Thanks for the quick reply, as for the phone registering. I rebooted the server and the handset now registers, my guess is the firewall on the host server was initially blocking and PBX vm needed a reboot to see the ports open again.

All the phones / client PC / Servers are on the same subnet of our internal network.

For the client PC which is running the client software it can access the web page and see the other extension.

As for the email server, its our internal server. I can my my personal Gmail account to double check for now, also what standard ports for communications does it use? I may need to set up / tweak a connector in exchange to allow the communications.

5. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

If you enable the option SSL/TLS the standard port is 587, and without it the port is 25. You can however specify the port you want to use by adding it to the Mail server as seen in the guide. (e.g.smtp.gmail.com:587)

6. Colin Mitton

Sadly it seems gmail is a no go for me. I have 2 factor authentication running and gmail app settings have changed a lot so I will set up its own internal connector for my exchange server and have a play! That's a job for Monday though...

Thanks for your assistance so far.

7. Colin Mitton

Got it working!

In the end setup a custom connector for the IP address of the 3CX PBX and gave it a custom port number to access with no authentication. This then worked and all the emails started to appear and the windows client was all configured and sending / receiving calls.

Thanks.

8. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad to hear the issue is now resolved and thank you for sharing your solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.