Fixed IP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by timfoster, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timfoster

I am planning on installing a PBX in my home. My partner is Mexican and when her family call I want them to be routed in Spanish. I don't want anything flashy, so I thought 3cx would be perfect. However, the documentation says that I must have a fixed ip. Why is this? My VoIP provider, Voipfone, don't require this so why does the PBX. I'm now having a look at pbxww from didww.com. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

2. kerrchris

Hi

you do not need a fixed IP, you can use a dynamic DNS service and setup port forwarding on your home router.

regards

Chris

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Don't forget to put the name you will use, such as myip.dyndns.org , into 3CX settings as the Domain Name.

4. timfoster

Thanks for the reply. That's interesting, page 16 of the manual says the exact opposite "If using a VoIP provider or remote extensions, you will need a fixed IP. DynDNS and similar configurations are not supported!"

Is the manual just out of date?

5. complex1

complex1 Active Member

The manual is not out of data.
    Not supported does not mean it does not work ;)
    I can confirm DynDNS work perfect. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. timfoster

OK. I may be a little off-topic now, but I'd still really appreciate some help.

I've got the system installed on my Windows 2012 Foundation server. The setup wizard ran through fine until it got to registering the second database when it fell over. The wizard then crashed as no buttons were enabled. When I closed it I got the warning that it wouldn't work. I opened the 3CX app and whilst I had to redo the extensions, it appears to be installed fine.

Now, I've got three extensions setup, one for me, one for my partner and one for the desk phone in my office. They're extensions 5001-5003. I entered my voip provider (Voipfone) details using the info on their website (so, incoming and outgoing is sip.voipfone.net). After wondering why nothing was happening I fiddled a little and discovered that none of the services were started! I presume this is because of the wizard failing. I started them all (better to be safe than sorry!) and now I have Voipfone showing in the Ports/Trunks status as registered(idle) on virtual extension 10000. So that's a good thing :) I also have the Special Menu and Fax Extension registered and idle on 6666 and 8888 respectively too.

Next I want to connect softphones and hopefully a Nortel 1140e handset. I figured the 3CX softphone would be easiest so I installed this on my laptop (running Win 8.1). It installs and I get the message saying drop the config file onto the phone. Trouble is, I haven't got a welcome message and so no config file either :( I tried to configure it manually by entering the extension 5001 in AccountName, Caller ID, Extension and ID with the password in Password, but when I click the tick it just goes back to the accounts page and there is nothing configured.

Can somebody get me started please?

Incidentally, my original post didn't seem to matter as I haven't had to setup DynDNS (maybe that's my problem!)

7. timfoster

I know it's bad form replying to your own posts, but I have got a little further. I've played a bit and now I can call my 020 London voip number and it connects to 3CX. I have a test.wav file that plays when the call is answered. I've configures 1 for ext 1 and 2 for ext 2. This appears to work as the call gets routed to a voicemail. I can't actually find the voicemails that I left, but that's less of an issue right now.

I've also got a little further with the softphone. I can get it to save the manual configuration by adding a location for the In/Out of Office. It still doesn't connect though. I'm wondering if I need to enter a re-provision URL. Trouble is I don't know what the url would be. I know the IP of the server. The manual isn't very helpful as it says the best way is to auto configure. What it doesn't say is how to send the email to auto configure, or how to manually configure. Hmph!

An idiots guide would be great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.