Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Fixing android bluetooth audio issues

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Brad Cann, Mar 20, 2018.

Fixing android bluetooth audio issues 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Brad Cann

Brad Cann New Member

Gday All,

Whilst i can see a lot of progress with issues that we have raised in the last 6 months, another issue that is about to raise its head in my company is the issue of Bluetooth Audio with 3cx. Now whilst i do have a degree of sympathy for 3cx themselves over the fragmented android ecosystem, and the fact that each manufacturer (Be it LG/Samsung/Google/whatever) does everything slightly differently, i believe this is going to cause us some major issues going forward if it doesn't work as we have a fleet of android phones and the likelihood of all of them having an individual 3cx extension going forward is high, and given most countries unfriendliness in regards to the laws of driving and holding a mobile phone, it also means most people will have their phones synced to their radio's/blueant style Bluetooth audio kits, it means going forward our field staff have a choice of either risking copping a fine and talking on their handsets whilst driving or pulling over every time their phone rings.

Personally i'd prefer for them to have the 3rd option, which is for them to just work over bluetooth because it:

1. Saves us a boatload as data is cheaper then voice calls
    2. Allows us to integrate what is a good platform across all of our business
    3. Prevent any civil lawsuits because 3cx doesn't work with bluetooth due to our field staff talking on the phone and crashing.
    4. Increases safety for our staff driving.

I know this has come up before, but given 3cx has now made a decent amount of progress on many other issues, i'd like to raise it here in the ideas section and get some community support to help raise it up the priority level and hopefully get it sorted in the next few months.

Thanks

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Skype, What'sApp, Viber, Facebook, Hangouts can't answer calls on their Android apps with a bluetooth headset.

Pressing the answer call or make call button on a bluetooth dongle works only for your Android device's NATIVE dialer app. The Android O/S provides no PROPER methods for developers to use this function.

Having said the above, it seems like that in Android Oreo (8.0 or API26), Google has finally added some ways for developers to use this functionality. Unfortunately only a very small amount of users are using Android Oreo with our application so we're not planning to add this functionality NOW.
    We will be adding it later when users with this version increases to a more sensible level.

You won't need to receive upvotes for us to do what you're mentioning. This is something we would love to have and are looking at the chance to implement it for our users, IF WE COULD! :D

Give it some time as you mentioned and you'll eventually be seeing it in the app, again, don't forget that it'll likely be for Android Oreo and above.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Brad Cann

Brad Cann New Member

Just for now we'd be happy to have audio working even if it involved pressing the answer button on the phone itself.

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I'm unaware of any problems with the answer button ON your Android device and bluetooth devices audio routing. We've tested this internally very recently and it works fine on several different brands of bluetooth dongles.

As i mentioned above, the only existing issue with ALL Android applications out there is that the answer button ON the bluetooth dongle won't work. If no one else can't make this work, i don't see how you'd expect that 3CX should be able to do it.

If you have trouble with audio routing between your Android device and a bluetooth dongle, please feel free to report it in the Android forum with more detail so we can look into it. We've had no other recent reports that this is not working.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 LeonidasG, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  5. Brad Cann

Brad Cann New Member

sorry,

after pinning the company owner down again, and further grilling him on the actual issues, he mis-informed me about it being an audio issue, and in fact its just that pushing the button on his car steering wheel isn't working. please kill this thread...

6. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

:D Don't worry, things like this happens... I remember, eight years ago, on 3CXPhone6 for Windows, somebody complained there is no sound - he was very confused, only to find out his PC's audio jack mechanically kept the speaker disconnected :)