Force Backup and Recordings Folder to be OUTSIDE the Installation Folder Structure

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by kinetix, Jan 31, 2017.

Force Backup and Recordings Folder to be OUTSIDE the Installation Folder Structure 4.9 5 8votes
4.9/5, 8 votes

1. kinetix

Force Backup and Recordings Folder to be OUTSIDE the Installation Folder Structure...

This will prevent an UNINSTALL which is REQUIRED for Version Upgrades from inadvertently removing required/needed/necessary files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 kinetix, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. accentlogic

accentlogic New Member

Agreed! Even with the warning that "you must have a backup" when uninstalling it is too easy for a user to think "yes, I have a backup..."

On Windows systems I think these should default to "%PUBLIC%\Documents\3CX\Backup". I am sure a similar structure is available on Debian.

Or, use "%ProgramData%\3CX\Backups" for the default backup structure and NOT remove this folder when the system is uninstalled. Add a prompt on uninstall if recordings should also be removed.

3. alchemy

When testing 3CX for the first time we hit this issue and had to start again.

It's far too simple to think that the backup wouldn't be removed by an uninstall, especially when you have to uninstall to perform license changes etc.

4. two

two

From day 1 working with 3CX, the first thing i do is change the backup location to a dropbox folder I always install on a clients server. I include up to 2 GB backup for them as part of my service. Anything larger I charge per Gb. Dropbox has a last 5 revision restore capability in the event a change happened that you may need to return to. Although it may be dangerous to use since the system will return to an older date.

By using this location by default, I never need to worry about losing backups. Make it part of your installation proccess each time and it will become routine.

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...