• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Force Extension to be online/available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gav

Reaction score
I need to be able to force an extension to always be available/online.
I don't want to have to use a physical phone or any softphone.

Is this possible?

Have to ask, why do you want to force an extension to be available / online - what are you trying to accomplish

You can not force a dummy extension to be online.

Here's our scenario.
We have ring groups in the business for the various depts.
Due to physical overlap within the offices, the people with those rings groups want a visual signal a ringing phone is one with their own ring group.
The solution to this is to use BLF (253@1/bc*20* on fanvil phones). 253 being the extension the lamp will monitor. This works brilliantly...if extenstion 253 is ringing, the lamp will flash and pressing the button picks up that ringing extension.
All good expect that ext 253 is someones actual phone, so if they're on a call, the lamp changes to busy and breaks the whole setup.

So I had a bright idea of creating a virtual extension. A phone that physically wouldn't exist.
Its only purpose to be a member of the ring group.
This should solve my problem above, but unfortunately I cannot force the extension available unless I plug in a phone somewhere.
Yes...I could go and put 10 physical phones in the server room, all dedicated to this task for the various depts, but this seems a bit rubbish!!

Any ideas?!

You can not force a dummy extension to be online.
There are actually 2 ways to force an extension to appear as registered without a device.

The first is to enable push on that extension (it should be enabled by default) by registering it to a mobile client (Android or IOS). Send a welcome email for that extension and register it on a mobile device. Once it is registered the extension will remain available so that Push works. You can delete the account from the mobile device if you wish.

The second way is enable the option "Ring my mobile simultaneously" under the extensions forwarding rules. This will also keep the device registered so the PBX can call the mobile number when a call arrives. The disadvantage of this method is that the PBX will try and call the number that is set as mobile and that will consume a simultaneous call and send invalid numbers to the provider so it is not recommended using this option. Technically speaking though this will keep the extension registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.