• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Forcing an extension to be external.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wzaatar

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it possible to FORCE extensions to be identified as external?

Thanks,

Wadih

The extension would be considered external if it were on a different LAN than that of the 3CX . When a set is data filled you tell it the IP of the SIP server to register with, on an external it would be the public IP of the router 3Cx is on or the DDNS location, on an internal set it would be the local IP of 3CX.

What would be the point of forcing a set to be one or the other, outside it's own internal settings? Are people taking their phones home and trying to plug into the net there?

Let me give you better insight on what I'm trying to achieve:

- I want all devices to communicate in bypass mode.
- One of the advantages is not having the 3cx pbx relaying (transcoding or proxying) the RTP packets and getting devices to communicate directly.
- This can only happen when the devices are of the same kind (internal-internal) or (external-external).
- By doing so, any external devices are getting recognized as internal (I used the LocalSubnets option to 0/0 everything).
- But that means that internal devices sitting with private IPs are sending INVITEs with a non routable address, which means that external devices cannot communicate with them.
- So I'm trying to figure out a way to get proxying to happen for selected devices. The challenge being that these 'selected' devices have dynamic IPs... That's why I want to see if I can find a 'forcing' feature for a device to be external, irrelevant of its IP address.

Hope this clears it... A little.

W.

What about....if 3CX IP were, for example...192.168.1 200 and you set up a set to have an IP of 192.168.2.2? Using a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Would that cause 3CX to think that the set were external? Or 192.100.2.2 and a mask of 255.0.0.0?

Or...a lot of ISP's allow you to have more than one public Ip address. What if you split the output from your ADSL/Cable modem through a switch and run two routers. 3Cx would be running on one and all extensions, in the office would be running on the other. in effect, all extensions would be external.

That would be my second alternative actually, forcing all extensions to be external. I'm investigating the first one at this stage :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.