Forum (pHpBB) giving Webpage has expired errors with IE7

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by telis, Aug 13, 2007.

1. telis

telis New Member

Hi,

This is somewhat off-topic. When browsing the 3CX forum with IE7 on XP or Vista, or Windows Server 2003 under some cicumstances I encounter a 'Webpage has expired' error. Very Annoying. To reproduce the behaviour go to http://www.3cx.com/forum in IE7, click the search link, search for 'test' (no quotes), click on the first listing in the search results, then click back. I at least then get the following page:-

<snip>

Webpage has expired

Most likely cause:
    The local copy of this webpage is out of date, and the website requires that you download it again.

What you can try:
    Click on the Refresh button on the toolbar to reload the page. After refreshing, you might need to navigate to the specific webpage again, or re-enter information.

More information

</snip>

Clicking on More Information gives

<snip>

If you continue to have this problem, try the following:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down and uncheck the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option in the Security settings.

</snip>

I have followed this advice to no avail. All is fine with Firefox, I did not have a machine with IE6 to hand to test this setup.

Can anybody else reproduce this behaviour? I tried a brief search on the pHpBB forum with not much success. I did note that the problem was also occuring with their forum!

In the meantime I have switched to firefox for browsing 3CX forums.

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I get the same results when searching and click "back" to get to the search results page again. Kind of annoying but I haven't seached too much to make it an issue.

3. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

I prefer using Firefox instead of IEx

4. nickybrg

nickybrg Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Tried to replicate the error but to no avail - (with IE7). Clicking back gives me in a normal fashion the previouos screen. In my browser the setting you mentionned of the encrypted files was unchecked. I tried to check it and see what happens but it still displayed the page. I also went on the phpbb forum. I tried to replicate the problem -no errors given. The only thing I can think of is that you may have some strange setting set on yout IE7 browser that is presenting you this error. I strongly doubt that this is a forum problem.

5. telis

telis New Member

But it's reproducable for some

Well maybe it's not such a rare setting as you think, because if that was the case why would RobLloyd have the problem also:)

As I mentioned, I have also seen the problem on serveral different PCs and Windows OSes. Does anyone else suffer? @nickybrg Did you install your IE from scratch or was it an upgrade? Are you running Vista or XP?

I have dragged this examples of forum users experiencing the same behaviour from a brief google...

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=213057

Looking around various sites it seems to be from an interaction between IE7 and other browsers (with certain settings) and pHp when using HTTP POST. I know nothing about pHp (I use ASP.NET) but these articles seem to be relevant and offer workarounds...

http://shiflett.org/articles/how-to-avoid-page-has-expired-warnings

http://forums.devnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?p=34853&sid=6808f590ec80893539f767ac07d235c2

6. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I get the search errors when I click Back from xp with IE6 upgraded to IE7 and also in Vista.

7. telis

telis New Member

Back Button IE7 Vista/2003

This back button issue on the forum is still present. It is reproduced by others above, and on all of my Vista/2003 server PCs, at home and at work. It's a real pain to have to use Firefox.

8. silentfun

silentfun Member

i have this to only in german but - have just now realized that this is not ok - :)

i have no problem with it because i anyway don´t like go back i oben the the found results always in new pages so i stay on the result page much faster for me :)

Andy

9. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

We're upgrading to the new forum, PHPbb3 very soon....

10. telis

telis New Member

I can confirm the revamped forum works with the IE7 back button for me! Thank you very much.

However old posts do not seem to have been indexed yet.