Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Forward calls to mobiles with rebound

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by CITS, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CITS

Hi.
    I am testing V15, i have a ring group with 5 extensions, each extension is set to forward to mobile with rebound enabled.
    This works great if you dial the extension directly, however if you call the ring group the calls fail to get sent to mobiles....
    i really need this to work as otherwise the mobile voicemail catches the call if it has no signal.

the only way i can get the mobiles to ring from the ring group is to tick "Ring my mobile simultaneously" but then i don't get the rebound option....

Thanks Steve.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The function as you describe it, is how it is currently implemented.

A ring group call is managed by the system (a system extension) in that it is one call being "forked" to (usually) more than one device. When you enabled the ring simultaneously it merely added another fork, but it is the same extension. So the call comes into the RG and subsequently rings those extensions according to the strategy.

The rebound function adds another dimension and complexity as it requires an input to accept or deny and then there is the timing and signaling that goes along with it. As the IP phone is much faster to the ring and answer, dialing out and waiting for the accept/deny routine brings the timing into question and especially if a number of external devices and carrriers are involved. Presumably, the call is still ringing at the other extension during this time and anyone could answer while waiting. Finally, there is the issue of the cell phone being out of range or turned-off. In this case the call is likely to go into the cell's VM. So, as a result, rebound is only available when an extension is dialed directly and not going thru a RG or Q.

A Q may offer more you more functionality but will still have some limitations. The difference is that you are not static (permanently assigned as a member as in a RG) but can advise the system of your availability by loggnig into and out of the Q. A Q directly supports external agents. Nevertheless, one still has to be aware of the cell phone aspect and the potential that it may answer given the conditions stated earlier.

While I am sure that there are reasons for wanting the rebound, both the RG and Q are designed to send a call to more than one extension in the hopes that the call will be answered more efficiently. The rebound function would not necessarily tell you how the call got to your device, only the calling number as the caller-ID will show your 3CX number or trunk #.

You could always use the external cell extension as a fail-over destination whereupon it become an extension call and you get the functionality you seek.

3CX has indicated that the ring group functionality is pretty much stagnant as far as future development goes as they prefer Qs. The feature you seek has been suggested in the ideas forum and you could do a search and up-vote it and then.....maybe.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I wrote this before Ineblett replied, so there may be some duplication here...

I think that the problem is that there is a bit of a conflict. Extensions a ring group can have Ring my Mobile work for Ring Group calls. Ring Group calls, however, do not follow any call forward rules assigned to an extension, those rules are only followed when a call "belongs" to that extension. By attempting to use the rebound option, you are trying to use an option that should apply only to direct calls to that extension. I could see there being some interesting routing logic dilemmas, if a number of extensions, that were part of a ring group, all had rebound enabled.

When using the Ring my Mobile option, with members in a ring group, you have to be very careful, as calls to a mobile may end up being answered by a mobiles voicemail, if the phone is off, or the person has lost a signal. A call that may have been answered by another member of the ring group a few seconds later, might end up sitting on a mobiles voicemail much longer than anticipated.

4. CITS

Thanks for your replies.... we had this in place on our old trixbox and it just "worked"....
    i am just doing further testing i will update you with my solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.