Forward calls to SIP central

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by hristotorbov, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hristotorbov

Hi, guys.
    I'm going to buy VoIP number and they told me that they can forward the calls via SIP to my central.
    They're talking about a central like 3CX SIP PBX Server, right?
    Is it possible to configure 3CX for that kind of forward?

Thanks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can have a SIP number forwarded in a number of ways. If you have a static Public IP it can be forwarded to 3CX that way. If you subscribe to a Dynamic DNS service, such as http://www.dyndns.com (and your router keeps it updated) you will have a URL that the number can be forwarded to as well. You will have to create a trunk group, even though you won't be doing any outgoing calling, so that 3CX recognizes incoming calls from your provider as being valid. Not that hard to do.

3. hristotorbov

So, I installed 3CX server, everything looks good from other computers (admin/user panel) even I added a domain (sip.***.com), connected to an "extention" from a SIP phone, everything looks perfect for the moment!

I told the people to forward the calls to my IP, they told me that it's done, but now I have no idea how to listen the incoming calls..
    I'll read about the "trunk" - is there anything else that I need to do?
    What extention I need to do to listen forwarded calls? I need to make another one, right?

Really thanks for the fast reply, I'm so new at the telephony systems..

4. hristotorbov

BTW, they give me "IP Termination" and "IP Origination" IPs.. what I need to do with them? :)

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What number are they sending to you, one of your extentions or a number that they have chosen? You can set an extension to accept direct SIP calls. So if they sent "201" to your IP, as long as 3CX sees the call as being valid (that is why you create a trunk with the providers IP or URL), extension 201 will ring. That is for Direct SIP calls where you don't actually register a trunk directly with a provider. There is a company that provides free Washington State (US) numbers that works this way. ipkall.com. You don't register a trunk with them, they just send a number to you or to an existing IP number.

If they've given you information to actually register the trunk with them then you create a trunk group and direct that trunk group to either an extension or a Ring Group that contains a number of extensions. When you put in a trunk group like that you can receive calls and send calls out if you have an account that allows outgoing calls.

If you provide the provider name then someone on the forum might be familiar with the settings required to get it up and running.

6. hristotorbov

This is actually premium rate number, like this provider: http://www.premium-rates.com/
    I have voting program and I decided to use premium rated numbers for voting.
    The people from the company give to me only one IP (their server maybe) and they told me that the calls will be forwarded to my IP.
    I click on VOIP Providers > Add VOIP Provider, Generetic SIP Trunk, Set the IP..
    and then the system requires External Number, Username and Password.. but from the company doesn't give me that kind of information.. maybe I the Generetic SIP Trunk is not the right place or I don't know..

7. hristotorbov

Oh, I just added my personal username/password and everything worked fine!!
    This is perfect..
    I have just one problem - I need to add GSM codec in 3CX.. can you help me please?

P.S. > there is some GSM-FR codec but it's not the same..

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As you already discovered, if you don't need to register the trunk then you can put anything in the user name and password area, it won't be used anyway. You are limited to the Codecs listed in 3CX, the most common ones (G711a & G711U) used are available (they sometimes are called different names). http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Codecs

I'm assuming that you are using the free version?

9. hristotorbov

Oh, maybe the problem is that from this company didn't forward the calls to my SIP server yet.. I've asked for new numbers and they forgot to forward them..

Anyway, yes, I'm using the free edition.
    So, the GSM codec is available only in the paid one?

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

No, here is the comparison list...http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/edition-comparison.html

If you look at the 3CX log just after you've placed a test call you should see the incoming call even if it is being rejected or has nowhere to go. Make sure that you have the port forwarding set up properly on your router. They should be sending the call to your IP, port 5060.

11. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

GSM-FR = GSM

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. hristotorbov

Yeah, everything is okay now.
    Thank you guys!
    This software is awesome, maybe I'll buy the licensed version :)
    Bye bye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.