Forward from mobile number to 3CX system

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by looper, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. looper

Hello everybody,

I just got a new job and this is the first time i deal with VOiP, i managed to set up the extensions and phones and locally everything works fine.

But i just got a new request to forward an existing mobile number to an extension inside 3CX, extension that is already set up with the same mobile number to ring simultaneously, but i guess the boss wants to direct his calls through the personal pbx :)

So, basically, i have no idea where to start, the SIP Trunks and DID numbers were already created when i got here, so i don't know what these things are supposed to do. I'm also curios to what number should i forward to from mobile?

2. IoannisM_3CX

IoannisM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @looper,

Please do clarify me what is exactly that you want to

Thank you

3. V..

V..

Hi Looper,

If you would like to forward all external calls to a particular mobile number you will need to speak to the carrier about diverting the calls to a DDI associated with your PBX.

If you would like to redirect calls from people on the PBX dialling the boss's mobile this can be done with an outbound rule and the number rewriting. You would drop the entire number and prepend the new destination.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    looper likes this.
  4. looper

Let me try to explain myself, sorry but i don't have the specific lingo yet.

He wants to forward all calls he receives on his personal mobile number to the 3CX system, basically to his extension, so when he gets a call from a friend's iPhone, he should be able to answer it from the 3CX Windows / iOS apps ot his desk phone.

So i don' know what number should i use to forward his mobile to? I can set up the forward directly on his iPhone, no need to contact the carrier.

Hope i did better this time :)

Thanks a lot for replying!

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The mobile would have to be forwarded to a DID number that rings his 3CX extension directly. This would be done using an a forwarding option on the mobile account/number. You would have to speak to the mobile provider to see how this would work on their particular network as most mobile forwarding options send calls to the mobiles voicemail.. They may offer some sort of fixed number forwarding, where entering a simple code would activate to one, pre-selected number only. Just be sure that you don't enable Ring my mobile at the same time as that would create a loop.

looper and YiannisH_3CX like this.
  6. IoannisM_3CX

IoannisM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @looper,

On the iphone when you set the call forwarding add one of your DID numbers as the number that the call will be forwarded too. Set an inbound rule in your PBX with this DID, that will route calls to the extension you want to. Send a welcome email of your iphone client extension and open it with your windows client. This will configure the same client account of your iphone and on your windows client. So with these done, when someone calls the mobile number, the call will be diverted to your PBX, match the appropriate inbound rule and ring the iphone and windows client at the same time.

As a second option, if you can check which number is sent to your PBX as the calling number, then you can set a CID rule in order not to use a dedicated DID number just for this configuration. More specific, if you check and see for example that when the call is forwarded to your PBX, the PBX sees your personal mobile number as the caller (not the actual initiator of the call) then you can set your mobile number as the caller ID in your CID rule and when the PBX receives a call from you're mobile number it will always route it to the wanted extension. Just to simplify, in order this to be done, as you probably understood, it means that your PBX will always have to see the same number as the caller in order to match the CID rule.

Thank you

looper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.