Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Forward ring group

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jochanan, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jochanan

Is there an option to forward whole ring group by one user?

So, when technical office (5 users) are in a meeting, could one user forward the whole ring group to another extension outside the technical office?

2. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

This is quite easy ... If one member of the group has their settings changed [either on the phone itself, via MyPhone, or via 3CX management], and that setting has a timeout that is shorter than the ring-group timeout, then that extension will answer the call and forward it to wherever you have it set to ... (I'm assuming that you have a 'ring-all' type group set, rather than a 'hunt').

If you do have a hunt group, then put the divert on the first phone in the chain ...

This can also be done using an 'Out-of-Office' configuration for one of the ring-group members. Just use MyPhone to change the status and your pre-configured divert will go active. Set MyPhone back to 'Available' and the ring-group action is restored.

Best regards ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jochanan

Testing in 3CX version 11 with SP2. But this function is not working. Even in a hunt group (so not ringall) it isn't working.

(actually fine cause if that function could work, everyone even without special rights could always forward an incoming external call to another number)

Update: I found on the internet that this function works fine in version 8

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

My take is a little different - once a call is owned by the ring group, it stays within the ring group until the ring group has been exhausted. If not, then you could conceivably have a member of the group go on vacation and set their extension to forward to Vmail, which of course might be desirable from an extension need, but a disaster for a ring group. I have the folks within the group set their phone to DND, which effectively is a message to 3CX that the extension is busy. As this is at the phone level, the system will attempt to ring the extensions and you might even get 1 ring or a partial at each as the phone has to inform, but the system will then move on to the next extension until it finds an extension not busy or it then exits the ring group at which point the individual extension settings come into play.

Having said this, I do seem to think I observed a different behavior depending upon the extension number the ring group was assigned. I started with 800 and it seemed like extension settings did impact group handling, but then chaged to 801 and they no longer had an impact. As the latter setting was more to my liking and need, I left it there with the intent of testing to confirm my earlier, but have yet to get around to it as the client where I observed it is some 40 miles away.

If you get the chance, it would be of interest to see/know if indeed there was a difference simply based on the extension number assignment.

5. jochanan

I've found a workarround for this problem. And it is quite simple.

My problem was, when whole department has something like a meeting, we would like to forward the calls to another receptionist (or other department).

What we did is set the new receptionist number (or ring group number) as "mobile number" in the Myphone on one of the extensions of the department. When the department has a meeting or something, just enable the option "Ring my extension and my mobile at the same time" and the phone will also ring at the receptionist of the other department.

yes it is too simple, but a great workarround for some of our customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.