Forward to Cel Phone - Delay in conversation

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by brianoakes, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianoakes

Howdy!

I am sure this has been addressed but I was wondering if someone has come up with a definite solution.
    Being the IT guy I am rarely at my desk. People call my desk and it forwards to my cel phone after 20 seconds.

However there is a delay worse then cb radio. Any suggestions? I love having the feature to pick up the calls, while not being at my desk, but the delay gets pretty annoying. Any tips, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It's a matter of testing, or a process of elimination , to determine where the delay is occuring. If it isn't a network issue (latency, VPN?), then it might be a Codec problem if you are forcing a low bit-rate codec. Because more processing is required, in some cases, depending on hardware, it can cause more of a delay.

3. brianoakes

I don't think it's vpn or latency. We use Broadvox/Fusion and have a 250meg managed fiber that might use a peak of 10 megs. It's behind a SonicWALL, but normal calls all work fine. The only delay we see is in this scenario of forwarding to my cel.

We are v15.5, and the codecs on my extension are in the following order.
    PCMU
    PCMA
    G722
    G729A/B

Also PBX delivers Audio is selected on my extension.

How would you start troubleshooting it?

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

20 seconds is the default delay for forwarding calls, set in extension settings. Are you speaking about this delay or something related to voice quality?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. brianoakes

The delay that I am speaking of is when we are talking you can tell that it takes around 3 seconds before they hear it on their end. So of course you can imagine lots of talking over each other. In the office, it's great. I just have this experience when the call is forward to my cel phone.

6. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Ok, because you are mentioning delay of 20 sec in the first post.
    Voice delays in conversation are most likely related to the provider, not to PBX itself.
    Try another provider, if you can.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    NickD_3CX likes this.
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Try replacing your mobile number, with a land-line number (or even a different providers mobile number), to see if the delay is any different.

Is there a noticeable difference between a call to your extension (answered on your mobile), from another extension and one from an outside caller. It could be a sight delay, caused by your provider, being doubled.

If you check an Activity log of one of the calls, does it show any transcoding involved?

#7 leejor, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    NickD_3CX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.