Forward to cell phone supported?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by WiVM, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WiVM

Hello,

The idea is to use a LinkSys SPA3102 VoIP Gateway to transfer our PSTN line to SIP and connect it to the 3CX server. This should normally work fine for handling incoming and outgoing calls using our IP phones (LinkSys). Correct?

Now, when we are not available we want to forward the call to our mobile phone. Because this call is to a mobile phone and we want to avoid to subscribe for a second PSTN line, we hoped to do this with a cellphone modem. Is this supported by 3CX? What devices are compatible to plugin the SIM card of the mobile phone company and connect it with the 3CX system?

Thanks for your help!

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

May I suggest that instead of going this route you get some sip lines instead and forward out on those?

They are low cost monthly and would eventually lead you to drop the pstn line.

Even a normal skype (not the new skype sip) is low cost and 3cx has a skype gateway. Your calls to the cell phone would be minimal or put yourself on a low monthly subscription with them.

Just my opinion, but it is always good to have alternatives.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The common method, depending upon where you live, is to use a GSM VoIP Gateway, as costs to mobiles on the same network can be kept low. They are quite common in Europe as every provider "does" GSM, (well, OK, there might be a few that only provide 3G).
    In North America they are rare, if available at all, as we use different frequencies and systems. If you are in Europe, do a search for "GSM VoIP Gateways". It would be connected to 3CX as a trunk for outgoing, and incoming if you wished.

4. WiVM

Thank you for the reply. I have found some GSM gateways, but which are compatible with 3CX?

5. WiVM

I still require a PSTN line because our VDSL internet subscription is on that line. For the moment we have a dual ISDN line. By downgrading this to one PSTN line we already more then half the monthly costs. I am still a "suspicious" to these internet VOIP subscriptions for our company calls, but I will have a look, can be interesting indeed.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

To be compatible. it would have to be SIP compliant and 3CX (I would think) would register with it as if the gateway were a VoIP provider. I suppose you could have a device that would simulate an extension but it would certainly be less versatile. Be sure that you explain how you want to use the device, to any company that you may buy from. Check their return policy, especially if they state that "it will work", and it doesn't. I'm not sure if any specific devices have been tested with 3CX. I have never used one myself. Do your on-line research as to which devices, in general, are recommended for use with VoIP PBX's. You may find some information (even in this forum) about setting up certain devices to work with 3CX, I have seen them mentioned before.

7. WiVM

I have this device in mind: http://www.portech.com.tw/p3-product1_1.asp?Pid=13

From the schema that they provided it look like it need to go over internet, but I guess it will work on the network too.
    I found here someone that uses this brand (no details provided) in combination with 3CX: http://www.3cx.com/forums/gsm-gateway-on-3cx-6808.html#p34385

I also found this post, but it doesnt' handle the part at the 3CX configuration: http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/gsm-mobile-gateway/

Also I want to make sure that the our landline number visible for the forwarded calls by the mobile phone.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I take it you want the original callers number to show up on the mobile that the calls are forwarded too? I don't think that will happen. The number that will show up will be the one assigned to the SIM inside the GSM gateway. It is essentially a glorified GSM phone, you can't change/modify the outgoing number when you place a call from a GSM phone.

You can only do that, if your provider allows it, when making outgoing calls on a VoIP trunk.

9. WiVM

Thanks for your help, I have ordered Portech MV-370.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Post back to the forum after you get it up and running. Perhaps any tips for someone wanting to go the same route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.