Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Forward "* to operator" to an extension or phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MFreid, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MFreid

Hey guys.

Currently in our system, if someone gets the default voicemail message it says "leave a VM or press star to go to operator."
    We do not have an operator or receptionist for the purpose of taking and forwarding calls. As such, when hitting *, the same message just repeats.

We would like it so that if someone hits star (*) that it instead forwards to a virtual extension/queue.
    OR worst case scenario, how do we change the default voicemail greeting?

Thank you

Mark Freid | Leapset IT
    http://www.leapset.com

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

You could setup a dummy operator extension and forward all calls to wherever.

then change settings-> general -> operator to this new extension.

Settings-> system prompts is the prompt file - but I am not sure the default vm greeting is in there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

On almost all new configs, I create the Operator extension when creating the PBX through the initial wizard.. then tell it to be the operator extension accordingly.

Craig is correct, from there you can direct/route the calls as you see fit using a rule there. I typically route them to an IVR if it makes sense to do so.. but have also routed them to a "General Voicemail" extension instead.

I also tend to use that same Operator to direct most traffic.. but do find that the "star" option may be a special case instead of the general one.. and thus should be treated/routed differently than most incoming calls..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.