• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

forwarding original callerid

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfellows

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get "forwarding original callerid" to work or as some VoIP providers call it - "Caller ID Pass-Through"?

I have configured "Remote Party ID - Calling Party : User Part" = "OriginatingCallerID" in the Outbound parameters but this is not working.

Seems to be fine when calling VoIP to VoIP.. whether same SIP Trunk Provider or different.
CNAM is needed for calls made to traditional providers for the most part.

Let me be a little clearer; if my extension is set to forward calls to my mobile when in "Away" status, I want to be able to see the original CallerID on my mobile of whoever called my office extension. seeing the office number is not helpful.

I've seen posts about people asking how to do this since 2010 and earlier. I asked CallCentric (my SIP Trunk provider) if they knew how and they don't believe 3CX can do it, suggested using Asterisk.

SO I guess 3CX isn't going to implement this feature... too bad I just installed them for a client. I'll be checking out Asterisk in the mean time...

You may check whatever PBX you like, the issue is related to your provider, not to 3CX (3CX is supporting this functionality). Usually most of the providers are not allowing forwarding original caller-id, to avoid misuse, callcentric definitely will not allow to do this. Some providers will accept 'safe' method to do this with '302 diversion header' (also supported by 3CX).

BR

eagle2, check your facts - http://www.callcentric.com/new/#caller_id_pass_through - perhaps you could point me to the 3CX documentation where they explain how to do it?

I haven't managed to do this with Callcentric (while I'm successful with other providers), I will give a try again.

Generally you need to set 'Originator Caller-ID' for Contact and From field, user part (default is Auth ID) into outgoing parameters of SIP trunk / VoIP provider settings in 3CX configuration.

Also you may try forwarding external calls to external number for extension (Away and/or Out-of-office profiles) using '302 diversion header option' into extension settings forwarding rules. Note, that few providers are supporting this functionality. This should be equivalent to forward all calls to another number (i.e. mobile) at provider's site, very similar the way you can forward all calls on your mobile.

Regards

thanks eagle2. I tried your suggestions on 2 different 3CX PBXs (both v11 SP4), one a Free version and the other a MINI.

When calling the Free PBX from a softphone, it never rang thru (using 302 diversion headers) but I got a message "Not Implemented" on the display (and "L:44.1[Extn] failed, cause: Cause: 302 Moved Temporarily/INVITE from..." in the Server log). without 302 diversion headers it rang thru but not passing thru the originating CallerID (on both PBXs).

On the paid MINI PBX, I couldn't even enable the "302 diversion header" (it was greyed out). weird I would have expected this on the Free version not other way around.

Anyway, neither way worked. Don't know if CallCentric tried these settings, but they said they were unable to get it to work either. They talk about needing to use "in-reply-to" headers though...

I've downloaded Digium Home and AsteriskNOW, but haven't had a chance to try them yet...

never mind about the greyed out "302 diversion header" - I figured out a DID had to be on the extension. but still didn't work - when I call in to that DID from my desk phone I can hear Call Centric say "the caller is not available".

I would appreciate sharing your experience.

I don't think forwarding original caller-id is possible with callcentric, despite of what says their web page, however you may try it (with various PBXs).

Probably referring to old plain telephone exchanges and analog lines will give a clear picture.
On an old PBX you can forward calls coming on line 1 towards given extension to certain external destination via line 2, i.e. Caller 'A' --> Line 1 --> Extension 'B' --> Line 2 --> Final destination 'C'. This call forwarding or call transferring will use two lines in your PBX and you will see caller-ID of 'B' on display of 'C'. The same is the case with IP, the difference is that may try sending caller-id of 'A' to 'C' -- mechanism called 'Originator Caller-ID' in 3CX. Still this must supported by provider to work (most of them avoiding possible fraud by restricting it).

In a traditional analog environment you may ask provider to forward all calls towards 'B' to 'C', in this case no lines will be occupied into the PBX and 'C' will see caller-id of 'A'. This is happening widely with mobile phones, when you set some call deflections into your mobile. Probably callcentric are going to support similar service (configurable via web interface, or dialing some codes, I really don't know), otherwise the mechanism in SIP world for doing this (saying provider call is deflected to 'C') is using '302 diversion header', if supported by provider. In this case no channels will occupied into your IP PBX (one channel during call setup).

I'm not aware about '302 diversion header' availability into free edition of 3CX, with sure it is available into demo edition. I don't think however callcentric is supporting '302' mechanism.

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louderapps
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.