Forwarding rules and Status not working, am i doing it wrong

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jgrathwohl, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jgrathwohl

we have a priority hunt ring group the incoming calls go to.
    If a user sets his 3cx desktop app to "Away" the forwarding rules all tell it to go to the next extension in line.

Ring Bob, who is available. Bob does not answer, so priority hunt goes to -> John
    John is AWAY and his forwarding rules say if AWAY to send call to Matt.

This is where it "breaks"

Johns phone still will ring even on away, for the hunt group time limit, then go to matt, who is next in line.

John doesn't want his phone ringing which is why he set it to away?

What structure do i need to set this so i can have a priority hunt ring group but members of that group on AWAY/Out of office ect, will have the call pass on to the next member without bugging them.

Thanks in advance.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Re: Forwarding rules and Status not working, am i doing it w

I've found (and it may turn out not to be true in every single case), that ring group calls ignore any sort of rules that would affect a call directly to the extension number. I suppose that the theory is...if that extension is unable to answer the call, there are others (in the ring group) that will. There may be another way (do not disturb?) that could be used in place of Away, to temporarily stop a member of a ring group from ringing.

3. Jgrathwohl

Would adding multiple ring groups work?
    one group per secretary ?
    So if ring group doesnt pick up it goes to group 2 and the only group 2 member is away so it transfers to group 3 ect, or wouldit still ring the phone that is set to away? Of course Ring All would be set on these groups.

4. Jgrathwohl

It doesn't work. What has to be done is connect Inbound calls to an extension not a group, and daisy chain along the intended priority via extensions and not groups.

5. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

look at it this way -

a ring group is owned by the system whereas a call directly to an extension is owned by the extension. the system owned calls ignore the extension status rules as consider the impact of an extension in a ring group who changes their status and the ring group is set with a prioritized ring strategy. no one after the extension that changed their status would get the call as the status rules would come into play and the call would be diverted. so imagine a ring group with 5 extensions and the second decided to go to lunch and thusly set their status to away with the rule being send to vmail. all calls that make itpast the first extension would then find their way to #2's vmail and extension 3, 4 & 5 get nothing.

have them set their extensions to DND and they will be bypassed in the RG (typically seen as a busy) but calls directly to the extension will be handled by the rules associated to the extension.

6. Jgrathwohl

Thanks Inblett. I could see different diversion rules causing this, and have first hand. My solution obviously is not ideal for large environments, but we have a 4 person answering desk, so when away we need it to the next person asap, so my solution work is optimal. Dial codes must be used for voicemail and parking needs to be used for holds, otherwise transfering to them will just shoot the call to the next in line, so as long as you dont have dumb employees who transfer voicemail to the extension without *4 and wait for the rings to time out, its pretty nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.