• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Found something "cute" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

miraportuga

Reaction score
Dont know if anyone found this before, but here it goes.
3CX doesnt support G729 codec right? now, i have my 3 VSP lines, they all support this codec. What i've done is, i setup all my phones and adapters to use G729 has preferred codec, not restricted to only this one thoug. Now, i managed to make calls with this codec using 3CX without any audio issues. I think that, what is happening here is, since 3CX doesnt support this codec(i get the error message from mediaserver that they couldnt find intersection codecs) 3CX redirects the connection to the phone(that supports this codec) and the connection goes through wihtout using more bandwith then the necessary.
Not sure if this is working like this (the redirecting thing to my phone and adapters) but its what it seems to me, and if its really true then, its very good, since it wont take all my bandwith (if im on 3 calls at once).
If anyone could try this aswell to see if it is really like this (just to confirm) it would be nice.

Cheers

P.S. - One question, can i send my ID with voipstunt? Like i wanna send a number through Voipstunt. for what i've seen on voipstunt its possible, just dont know how to, on 3CX.

I'll give it a try later tonight and see if it works. That would be a nice find if it works!
Since the phones are licensed for 729 I wonder how much royalties would be for the plugin for 3CX to add as an extension/add-on of the phones.

So rob... any luck? Im still making/receiving calls with G729 codec without any audio issues, or at least thats what it looks to me.

Cheers

I'm going to try it today and call my ITSP and see if they can tell the difference.

How did you test to see if it was working? Just on amount of bandwidth being used?

I havent tested the bandwith, i have thoug a Grandstream GXP2000 that shows me connected with G729 codec. I noticed this when? well, before when i had the connection directly on 3cx server machine i had the Make calls through PBX enabled to 2 of my VST lines since that was the only way to get sound. Now that i have a router serving internet instead of my server i tried to disable the Make calls through PBX and for my surprised it worked, and for even a bigger surprise i saw on my grandstream that i was using G729 codec(i too noticed the sound a bit worst, even thoug i can understand what other say, and they can understand me) . So i think im right on assuming that, Router is directing the connection directly to my phone or adapters around my house. I too get the same message (the one saying "No codec intersection found with remote party") on server status that i had before, with router, and wihtout it.
So ya, the way i see it, im connected through G729 with my VSP provider.

Cheers

Here's my quick result: didn't work!

I set my Linksys SPA942 phones to G.729 as the preferred codec. Then 711 as the 2nd one.
Using the SPA942 web interface it shows what codec is being used during a call. I called VM and it showed 711. Just what I though would happen since it's interfacing with 3CX directly.

I then called an outside line. It stayed at G711 the entire call.
I changed it to use preferred codec only (G729) and then I couldn't do anything. Just got a fast busy signal.

So either your phones do something different than the Linksys or you're being misled by the phone status and mental games of the call not being as good as G711. :)

Need some better testing from you!!!! :lol:

Try to make an outside call through a VSP line that you know that uses G729 codec. Voice mail will always use G711 becouse thats 3cx preferred codec(or whatever you will choose).

Cheers

G729 licensing

As a side note, we are looking into G729 licensing and potentially making it an option in the paid version......

I did - I made a call to VM just to confirm the phone was working and as expected using 711. I then made an outside call using the ITSP and it still stayed at G711.

miraportuga said:
Try to make an outside call through a VSP line that you know that uses G729 codec. Voice mail will always use G711 becouse thats 3cx preferred codec(or whatever you will choose).

Cheers

Re: G729 licensing

That's great news Nick! You must have either found a reasonable price for licensing or had enough requests (or both).

Very glad to hear that! I had good luck with G729 using the Linksys SPA9000 over DSL.

Any idea when this may be available? This year, 1st qtr, etc?

admin said:
As a side note, we are looking into G729 licensing and potentially making it an option in the paid version......

Well, it works here, i know it sounds odd but, the first time this ever happened i had all devices using G711U has preferred codec and he simply changed it to G729. Anyways....

Cheers

miraportuga said:
Well, it works here, i know it sounds odd but, the first time this ever happened i had all devices using G711U has preferred codec and he simply changed it to G729. Anyways....

Cheers

I don't know, why did you configure your device to prefer PCMU(G711U)?
List of supported codecs(in 3CX PBX documentation) means - you need to configure your device to support at least one from the list to be able to get whole (almost whole :) ) PBX functionality.

You can configure your device as you wish, but just take care about previous note :)
3CX PBX doesn't require ""special" configuration of device, it just require checking of existent device configuration in case of necessity to check optimality of usage or troubleshoot :)

I had G711u has preferred codec becouse i do have to choose one from those that the phone has for him to use has default. Thats what i meant with that i said... Anyways, G729 working here... :p
Would take a picture or something for you to see that im really using that codec...

Cheers

miraportuga said:
I had G711u has preferred codec becouse i do have to choose one from those that the phone has for him to use has default. Thats what i meant with that i said... Anyways, G729 working here... :p
Would take a picture or something for you to see that im really using that codec...

Cheers

Is there something wrong?

No Problem at all, just justifying why i had chosen G711 has preferred codec :|

Cheers

miraportuga said:
No Problem at all, just justifying why i had chosen G711 has preferred codec :|

Cheers

:)

Tried mine again and still nothing other than 711 being used. 729 is being ignored. Of course if I choose to only use 729 I get nothing past the phones registering.

So Nick or anyone at 3CX can you throw us a bone?! :) Any time frames for official support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murad88
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.