FQDN and SSL Cert

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by sanpliance, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanpliance

Yeah, this whole ssl thing during installation is a bit too draconian for my taste. I'm a network admin, and I know how to get certs, install them, etc...but this is always client based. you have to generate a request file, get it signed by the registrar, and then you have it to install..., but wrapping that up into the 3cx installation process has my at a stand still. 3cx now uses nginix on windows, so I can't just hop over to get a free cert, their windows clients are based on IIS. what should happen, is a self-signed should be generated during installation, allowing for replacement later by the admin.
    2 options during install, using the new command line based 3cx pbx configuration tool, 3cx generated, or my own fqdn, with a cert, but you have to have the cert ahead of time, this leaves customers pbx's down while we get this straightened out.
    if we use a 3cx fqdn, (probably the quickest installation route), then customers are tied to mixing their pbx url with a 3cx domain.
    I exited out of the configuration tool, only to find it wasn't installed as a program in the windows list, so without knowing the right executable to get back to where I was, I had to un-install, and re-install to get back to the wizard.

This whole process needs re-thought, you are going to get a lot of complaints during customer upgrades.
    Just my opinion.

2. sanpliance

Do you have a blog post on how we are supposed to generate a certificate request, and get it signed for nginix, since it's incorporated into 3cx now? will we have to pre-install nginix, generate cert request, get a cert file, then install 3cx, and will nginix conflict with the one to be installed by 3cx? major questions about all this. v14 installer worked fine, letting us as the pbx admin choose.
    I'm even fine with the command line, as long as it can generate the request, and exit, and we have a shortcut to run, to pick up where we left off, idk, anything but this.

3. sanpliance

4. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

This works, at least for initially generating key/cert to install. For renewals I will tackle that another day.

https://zerossl.com/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I made this tool to generate the CSR out of my own need as it can be tricky to get you hands on a key from which the csr is generated. After pick any public ssl cert issuer of your liking, present the CSR and for some $ you will get a public cert. Check that the root CA of the issuer is included into the IP Phones if you plan to have remote extensions! If you only have internal phones starssl is just fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. StefanW

Staff Member 3CX Support

thats a reason why I have not documented Let´s Encrypt as they only issue the cert for 90 days and then it needs to be renewed. Also it is a different method how to get to the cert via an API interface. So if this is not done via 3CX it is not so easy to maintain. It would be great if we could issue for your own domains those certs but this would require that we would have access to your public DNS and there is already stops...

7. StefanW

Staff Member 3CX Support

great found that is "https://zerossl.com/free-ssl/#self", new to me.

But this have some massive downsides on it.
    As the page state "it is good for testing use" and this is why we dont issue self singed certs anymore made by 3CX. But Fair enough.

However if someone gives you a cert and a key, that means that this company has the ability to get into your traffic as a man in the middle. Not saying they ever will do but it defeats a bit the goal! I can tell you my home address but without giving you my house key the door is shut...

8. StefanW

Staff Member 3CX Support

I will document shortly how to change the cert of the pbx without the need to reinstall it. With the new way 3CX uses the web server it is very simple.

9. StefanW

Staff Member 3CX Support

but this can not be different then as it is. If I give you key and cert (outline in a post a bit above from me) it would be useless effort... And yes some clients are not the happiest to see a 3CX domain instead of thier own, but lets recap where do they see it? In the 3CXPhone? No, In the IP Phone Provisioning? No, In RPS? No, only thing where you see it is while opening from outside the MNG Console or downloading a report. The reset is transparent. And webmeeting is anyway done via a 3CX domain as it is hosted on our servers. So if your own domain is pbx.mybusiness.com your webmeeting url will be pbxmybsuiness.3cx.net... Here the full take on it: http://www.3cx.com/docs/fqdn-management-allocation/

10. StefanW

Staff Member 3CX Support

-- I hope I could bring some light to this topic for you, enjoy --

11. JohnSim

Useful stuff, cheers.

From what I can see, it all happens in the browser, which creates the whole stuff without connecting back. Sounds pretty cool to me. So it is not really like the situation when someone "gives" you something.

Basically it would make more sense to suspect that 3cx app is stealthily sending my contacts and SD card content somewhere. Not saying it ever does that, but permissions allow this and MORE! :D By the way, where can I find the explanation for all permissions app requires? I mean not just what the permission means but why app needs that and how and when each permission is used really.

12. sanpliance

zerossl was indeed the easiest, but as mentioned, you have to renew in 90 days.
    also, if your IIS wasn't set up for verifying the zerossl, you have to do this:
    I made an IIS site with the domain, then deleted it before installing 3cx v15, so there were no conflicts.

used startssl in the past, but sure had trouble getting my authentication certificate installed. I will go towards purchased certificates for customers.

so, are there any that generate the csr/account key like zerossl? definitely helpful, since 3cx now wants the cert at install.
    also interested in any further tools like the csr gen tool.

13. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

You could have chose the DNS verification method and then just downloaded the cert and key to provide them to the installation script.

14. JohnSim

I think there is a separate csr gen on zerossl too (shows more fields and you can choose key length) - https://zerossl.com/free-ssl/#csr

15. SON

SON

Hi StefanW, how can i renew the expired certificate without the need to re installed the 3CX version 15 (windows)?...thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.