FQDN not created during installation

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Basheerpt, Sep 16, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basheerpt

Hi
    We have recently implemented the 3cx system. We were less familiar with the system during the installation phase. Later after the system is in production, we realized the implementer did not configure the fqdn and the clients are not reachable from outside of LAN.

I have public IP and public ip is reachable to the hostname of the 3cx VM. What I understood is, in order to configure the fqdn, I have to reinstall the whole system! My questions are:

- What is the best way or steps to reconfigure the FQDN without losing any of the configurations including Dial plan, call cost settings, extensions, extension properties etc?
    - What is the recommended method of FQDN? means, managed by 3cx or fqdn my own? I am in 3cx maintenance contract till mid 2018.

Thank you for your advise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Since you don't have an FQDN currently you should be able to simple do a backup without the license key & FQDN, uninstall and then reinstall restoring the backup. You can then set your FQDN at that time. Clearly the recommend FQDN option is the 3CX provided one since that's what the system defaults to during installation. All other considerations aside you will need to keep your maintenance current if you decide to use a 3CX FQDN but if you don't plan on keeping it current then you can use your own.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/fqdn-ssl-certificate-v15/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Basheerpt,

What version have you installed? If you are on V15 or higher the system cannot finish installing if an FQDN is not provided along with a certificate for that FQDN. If you navigate to settings / network do you see an FQDN under the FQDN tab?

4. Basheerpt

Hi YianniSh,
    Our version is: 14.0.49169.513
    Under Settings>Networking, FQDN box is grayed out with Local server IP.

Thanks

5. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Basheerpt and thank you for the update,

Please note that you cannot use a 3CX provided FQDN in V14. This feature was introduced in V15. In V14 you had to provide the installer your own FQDN and manage it accordingly. You also have to issue certificates for the FQDN and manage the DNS configuration.

To change this you need to re-install the system as you cannot change the FQDN after the installation.

6. Basheerpt

Hi YiannisH,
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    So I learned changing FQDN cannot be changed unless reinstalling.
    My question, how safe is a reinstallation on a production system? Can I retain all the settings and customization from the backup after the reinstallation? Please give me peace of mind to proceed :)

Thank you again.

7. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Create a backup including all options and save it to a non 3CX location. Un-install the PBX, restart the system and re-install. Depending the changes you will perform you may need to re-provision the phones.

8. Basheerpt

That would be a tedious task, to re-provision all the 100+ phones!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.