Free program to pop up GoldMine CRM record based on CallerID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mcbsys, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

In case anyone else needs this: I wrote a program called "MCB GoldPop." You can configure 3CX Assistant to run MCB GoldPop when a call comes in, and MCB GoldPop will tell GoldMine 6.5 to move to the corresponding contact record based on Caller ID. I've released it for others to use (but not redistribute) at no charge:

http://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2010/09/free-mcb-goldpop-program-loads-goldmine-record-from-3cx-callerid/

MCB GoldPop might work with other versions of GoldMine; in fact it's generic enough, it might even work with other programs that can pop a record using Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE). Let me know if it works for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. captivateglobal

I know of a similar program for all TAPI devices - the cost is $175 per license!

We currently run Asterisk and we're about to upgrade GoldMine and purchase this software at a huge cost.

Once again 3CX looks great. If only music on hold worked for us, I'd convert in a heartbeat.

3. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

What version of GoldMine do you have? What are you upgrading to? I think later versions of GoldMine (starting from 6.7?) have some built-in SIP integration. Not sure if a TAPI add-on, or MCB GoldPop, would be necessary. Haven't tested though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. captivateglobal

Re: Free program to pop up GoldMine CRM record based on Call

Well, we're going from 6.7 to 9+. The 'SIP integration' is basically a crude softphone, which isn't much use if you have actual telephone handsets like most businesses prefer to use.

So the only integration is via Papillon Technology's TAPI-Link software, which basically interfaces with a TAPI/1.4+ driver, and 'emulates' a modem on the other end. The usual 'dialler' however (GMDial.exe), is designed to dial the number with a modem for you, at which point you pick up a handset which is on the same telephone line, and click the 'Hang Up' button in GoldMine to disconnect the modem from the call. It's not designed at all to actually monitor a telephone calls.

So the Tapi-Link software for GoldMine is the only way you can get a reliable dialler. It re-routes the default GMDial.exe application to it's own application, so when you press 'Call' in GoldMine, it doesnt attempt to pick up a modem or anything, it just takes the number and uses it to initiate a call with the TAPI driver.

After initiating the call, Tapi-Link doesn't do a great deal. When the call ends, Tapi-Link generates a "Complete Call" window for your call details which you can fill in with whatever details you need.

Incoming calls, it pops another dialog which scans the incoming number against a precompiled list from GoldMine, giving you a 'Heads Up' of the last entries and caller ID name, before letting you 'Go To Record'. I am told by Papillon Technology that the 'precompiled list' is a technique used on dBase-versions of GoldMine to improve performance. On newer versions, a simple SQL lookup is used to find the number in the database.

As mentioned, the Tapi-Link softwre is $175 per license, and then you need a reliable TAPI driver which, on Asterisk, also costs (although about 10% of the cost of TAPILink). Any system which can directly support GoldMine with some basic TAPI-Link functionality for free is probably a very good choice for anyone considering GoldMine.

As you may have found there is not much you can do to get GoldMine to actually use TAPI! Or at least, I've not found a compatible TAPI driver because I'm pretty sure GoldMine's TAPI is modem only.

I guess that FreeRange don't see value in actually having the functionality in their own software, if someone else provides a 'workaround'. .. wait, sounds like some other company I know. ;P

5. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Interesting. 3CX Assistant supposedly has a TAPI driver (http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-assistant-tapi/) but GoldMine 6.5 does not list it under Edit > Preferences > Modem "Tapi Line".

Hmm...maybe I should figure this out and write a plugin to get GoldMine talking to 3CX!

BTW I think I saw an new DDE command in GoldMine 6.7 called CallerIDAll that will search all three phone fields to pop the record. MCB GoldPop could use that DDE command with the proper command line.

6. captivateglobal

Yeah, it's actually TAPI 1.0, the first version of TAPI ever released, which was before the concept of real-time voice over IP was floated. It was developed solely to dial numbers and digits on a modem, so that you could use TAPI to control phone systems with feature codes, etc. It was then also used to 'dial on behalf' of another connected phone on the line.

In short, it's modem only. The only way you can get GoldMine to see a TAPI line is if it's actually a modem. Not much use considering today's environment. GoldMine has not done anything about it and has actively refused to develop any TAPI compatibility, instead recommend a third party application by one of their developers. Same guy who wrote 'The Hackers Guide to GoldMine'. Seems like he makes a lot of dough from the falldowns of the GoldMine system, because he offers a number of other applications which fix holes in the GoldMine platform, that GoldMine just refuse to fix.

Must be something going on there, so I wouldn't bother too much on trying to get GoldMine to work with any TAPI above 1/modem.

Even if you managed to find a TAPI driver that presented itself as a modem (for example, ActivaTSP for Asterisk, which actually has a button called 'GoldMine Compat Mode', which turns the TAPI into Modem TAPI), the GoldMine system does not support sensing offhook flash. When you press 'Dial' it will pick up the modem, dial the number, then say 'Press Hangup when Connected'. This means that your SIP TAPI thing will dial the number, then when you press 'Hangup', the GoldMine system hangs up the call, and hence the call doesn't end up getting connected.

And you can't do anything whilst that popup window is there, so you can't just leave it open and work. Very annoying.

Anyway, the only way to integrate this into GoldMine is to actually edit the executable that it calls to dial. Then, regardless of the line selected in your TAPI setup, it will call THAT executable, with one argument: the number.

Basically, underneath the USER.ini, you can specify 'GMDial=C:\Mydialer.exe %s'. Then basically when you press dial number, it executes that, with %s as an argument. Do with it what you will.

In regards to inbound, GoldMine 6.7 doesn't have any method for an inbound call, so you are right, you will need to search the incoming number within the goldmine software, then use a DDE command to make GoldMine move to the record. However, there is no window that is an 'incoming call record' - you will need to write your own GoldMine window and pop that, most likely.

Please let me know of any developments you can manage in this arena, as we are still in the process of deciding which TAPI for GoldMine to use. You might also be interested that there is -other- players whom provide other software compatible with GoldMine, however GoldMine don't acknowledge they exist.

One such company is CyTrack who provide call automation software for integration with CRM software.

7. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

That's interesting info on GoldMine and TAPI. Obviously you've done a lot of research on this!

My approach for outbound isn't working great but here it is:
    1. Hook up a FXS port that is connected to the PBX to a modem in the computer.
    2. Dial using GoldMine. In the Dial Suffix, use !,20# to initiate a transfer to my SIP phone extension 20.
    3. Press Hang Up after I pick up the phone.

The problem is that it doesn't always complete the transfer...but I haven't fiddled with it enough to figure out why.

As for inbound, the DDE command "CallerID", sent to GoldMine, actually does the search in GoldMine's PHONE1 field and moves to that record. In other words, the search and "pop" are not two separate steps. There is an option to additionally display a window about the incoming call. This part actually works pretty well with 3CX Assistant calling MCB GoldPop and MCB GoldPop issuing the DDE command.

Of course DDE is ancient technology; a true bi-directional TAPI solution may be preferable for the long term.

8. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Recently learned that using GoldMine 8.5, MCB GoldPop can in fact search Phone2/3 fields as well as Phone1 if you substitute the "CallerIDAll" function for "CallerID".

The same customer who reported this is also wondering about outbound dialing from GoldMine through 3CX, with automatic pickup/transfer to a hard SIP phone. Any news on outbound dialing/TAPI in the last 18 months?

9. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Wanted to say thanks for that tip. Here's the command that worked for me:

DDEDial=&Dial,,C:\Mydialer.exe %s

It goes in the [Modem] section of GoldMine's <user>.ini file, basically intercepting outbound dialing requests. If the user doesn't have a physical modem, you have to create a dummy modem.

10. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

I've now completed and published a (paid) program that offers more advanced integration between GoldMine and 3CX. In addition to popping the GoldMine record on incoming calls, it allows outbound dialing from GoldMine through 3CX, as well as creating GoldMine history records of incoming and outgoing calls. If you use the 3CX recording feature, it can automatically add links to those recordings in GoldMine history. For a short demo video and a free trial, see the MCB GoldLink to 3CX product page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.