• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

FREE vs DEMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo_

Reaction score
Hi,

I've purchased the 16 call version for our HQ but in a smaller office I am running the FREE version.

What is the difference between the free unregistered version and the activated DEMO version? I thought the Free version allowed 4 simultanious calls but I'm aware the Demo only allows 2. Why does it drop? Does those calls include internal calls?

Cheers,

Jimbo

The free version does not come with all the bells and whistles that come with a paid version. There are certain features that have been disabled. The free version is largely directed to those who may be experiencing VoIP for the first time and possibly so in the home or SOHO. Consider it like a tricycle of your younger years.

The demo version is complete in the feature set, you can do everything with it and the number of calls is the limitation as you really only need to have the two calls in order to effectively evaluate the feature set and its implementation. It is one of those things where if more calls were supported, more folks might try and use it to run their businesses without paying for it as I do not think there is an absolute time period for its use. Consider it a bicycle with training wheels.

It is basically a two pronged approach to allow people to get an understanding of the technology and how 3CX approaches it.

Hi,

Ok I see. After purchasing already the 16 concurrent call version of 3cx for our HQ I'm reluctant to purchase yet another copy for this small office. I've already come across areas where I need to at least use the Demo version (ring groups for one) Does the limit on the calls stop internal calls as well as external?

Jimbo

Yes, the limit is two concurrent calls, no distinction between internal or external.

That's a pain. Hmm I'll have to make a decision, maybe even invest in the Mini version, frustrating as I couldn't get it to work through our HQ with the SIP Proxy Manager how I wanted it to.

I'm wondering what the best solution is now.

Jimbo

have you take n a look at the features in the free version or paid mini? by doing so you have a better Idea of what your missin out on. Please note I have multi location clients who have a 8 sc license at their main location, nut have 3 other satellite locations that only hae 2-3 workers and thye use free free version. It all boils down to the features you need, and dont.

Yeah I've had a look. It would be nice to have a fully comprehensive system like we have at HQ (BLF lights, ring groups etc). This office only has 8 extensions and they have a 4 channel SIP trunk installed. I'm monitoring the call level and as yet I've not seen more than two concurrent calls as yet, although sods law says if I switch to the DEMO version it's going to happen!

If anything 3 of the users are going to be moving over to our HQ in March so I guess I can switch it over then as that would definitely solve the problem and I can just turn on the DEMO version.

Is it easy to switch between the DEMO and FREE versions?

Jimbo

3cx management console:
Settings-Activate license: Use this V11 Demo Key to activate enterprise features: DC4U-7OL5-4XTG-IUST

If you want go back to free version: Settings-Activate license: press Free version button

If the HQ can handle the call flow of the second location I'd definitely use external extensions, or SIP proxy manager, and you can setup a VPN in order to use the my phone application. What type of issues are you having using SIP Proxy Manager? Switching between Free and demo is really easy and quick. simple as inserting the license key and restarting services, when upgradiong to the demo version. When downgrading back to free you just activate free license and there is noneed to restart services. Hope that helps if not update the thread or shoot me and PM.

It would probably help to get a more complete understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. I agree with JPillow about it being easy and all to switch, but 3CX does monitor activations and such and might see a string of activations to be somewhat of a concern.

If you were simply trying to remote extensions and you ran into trouble and even so using the SIP proxy, that is one thing. Using a secondary system is something else.

Remote extensions are not uncommon, but may be influenced by a number of issues. What phone model, what firewall, etc.?

Jimbo try v10 free version, it has ring groups but no BLF fields. V11 has no ring groups and I found that to be a huge pain. With 10 you do get those ring groups but not some other advanced features I've found this to work just fine for some small offices though again it all falls back to needs. Let me know how v10 works better for you, or what route you decide to go.

Why are simply not running one PBX for HQ and remote office, especially if you have a VPN tunnel between (recommended) ?

Regards

I am with Orlin on this too, why having to manage multiple systems and not consolidate on one PBX via VPN?

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't get the remote extensions to work as well as when just running 3CX locally (sluggish calls between internal extensions, couldn't get the tunnel to work so had to set them up direct connected, etc). I haven't launched our HQ 3CX system yet, I'm awaiting our leased line to be installed. In the mean time I've activated the paid license to that remote office 3CX for the time being. We are consolidating some of those extensions in our HQ in the near future so when we come to launch 3CX at HQ then the number of extensions will be considerably smaller at the remote location, therefore I can just run the DEMO key for them.

I'm think this is the option that will work well for us. I'm planning on having those as remote extensions on a different line from the Yealink handsets for the off chance when a call comes into HQ that needs diverting to the remote office.

Once the leased line is in I'm sure it'll work better anyway.

Cheers, Jimbo

Jimbo_ said:
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't get the remote extensions to work as well as when just running 3CX locally (sluggish calls between internal extensions, couldn't get the tunnel to work so had to set them up direct connected, etc). I haven't launched our HQ 3CX system yet, I'm awaiting our leased line to be installed. In the mean time I've activated the paid license to that remote office 3CX for the time being. We are consolidating some of those extensions in our HQ in the near future so when we come to launch 3CX at HQ then the number of extensions will be considerably smaller at the remote location, therefore I can just run the DEMO key for them.

I'm think this is the option that will work well for us. I'm planning on having those as remote extensions on a different line from the Yealink handsets for the off chance when a call comes into HQ that needs diverting to the remote office.

Once the leased line is in I'm sure it'll work better anyway.

Cheers, Jimbo

Hi Jimbo,

Using the 3cx tunnel on one computer at the remote end, and connecting the extensions to the local end should work unless you have a really bad internet connection between the two. You will most certainly want to configure QoS though. For a start - at both the remote and local ends of the internet connection, prioritize your tunnel traffic. Even if the connection between the two is over the public internet where you don't have any control, that is often enough. If you have managed switches, you can also configure QoS internally. In some cases, the internet connection simply has too much latency, and a dedicated internet connection for the tunnel traffic (possibly from another provider) will make all the difference.

You can google voip bandwidth connection tests and find java applets that do a pretty good job of basic connectivity testing.

I have a several sites with HO 3CX, and up to 20 extensions tunneling in from remote offices. They use the public internet connections both cable and dsl, and they work fine. They do take a bit more work to get the call quality where it needs to be; it's all about the internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.