Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

FXO and FXS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by hoangmn, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoangmn

I am new to VOIP and trying to get start to convert our traditional PBX system to VOIP PBX. I'm trying to figure out what else to buy beside 3CX and SIP phone.
    -Does anyone have any recommendation for SIP phone? I'm planning to buy Yealink since it is on the list of 3CX supported HW.

I read 3CX explanation about FXO and FXS but it is still not clear. The PHONE in 3CX diagram, is it a SIP phone or analog phone?

1-To start if I use an approved VOIP provider with 100% SIP phone, I don't need to have any VOIP gateway.
    I just need to have 3CX installed and and an Internet line with router. Am I right?
    2-As in 1 above, if I have a analog fax machine, I will need an FXS port gateway, right?

3-If I am going to keep my analog phone lines and use 100% SIP phone I guess that I will only need to buy a VOIP gateway with FXO ports, right? I'm thinking to buy Patton 4118 with 4FXO/4FXS. Since FXS is only for analog device which in that case I just need to connect it straight to my analog line, it is a waste to buy that many FXS ports because they don't have any 10 FXO ports VOIP gateway to use my analog lines. Any alternate gateway with many FXO ports? I have 10 analog lines.

4-If I want to go hybrid VOIP, that means 6 VOIP and 4 analog lines (in case internet down, I still can use analog).
    I don't need any gateway for the 6 VOIP lines, I only need to set up 3CX to accept VOIP provider, right?
    For analog lines, I need to have 4 FXO ports gateway, right?

Thank you in advance.

2. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello,
    you are right
    you need fxo port for each analog line
    and fxs for each analog device (fax or phone etc)

and 3CX server support unlimited voip provides connections
    and support unlimited voip phones
    and has builtin fax to email feature

you have to ask about:
    what happen with fxo and fxs if electric shutdown or server failure
    supporting fax for fxo ports and and fxs anf voip provider

3. hoangmn

Thank you for your confirmation my understanding.
    Do you have any preference on FXO gateway?
    Since it works on LAN, I don't know if one brand is better than the other.
    Grandstream used to be 3CX approved HW but now Pattron and Beronet are on the list. I dont know if because grandstream had problems. Grandstream does have an 8-port FXO gateway, the other don't.

4. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello,
    Sorry I do not have enough experiance out Grandstream and Linksys
    I think Granstream 8 FXO has only one backup port
    You have to ask about the fxo impedance support your pstn provider needs or not
    also ask about register stability with 3CX server

5. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

YeaLink is a great phone to go with.
    I would always stick with Patton gateways. There tech support is amazing if you were to ever have a issue. If you have more then 4 FXO connections you could do 2x SN4114. But if your internet supports going to SIP Trunking i would look at an account with NexVortex. They allow for a month to month account and there pricing is great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello,
    For VOIP PROVIDER I tried Callcentric
    They are very good quality and features

7. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

We stick with Patton Gateways across the board. If you are going to have that many analog lines and want a physical line coming in you really should consider going with a PRI as at that many analog lines it just makes more sense cost wise though you can always use multiple 4114 FXO Patton gateways. We have customers using all three SIP, POTS, and PRI depending on what they have what they want, and feel comfortable with though we use SIP and lead out with SIP trunks as well. There are many different providers out there to choose from we work with many as we are carrier agnostic but obviously everyone has their favorites.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you plan on using a fax machine, in the end, you might find it easier to install it directly on a PSTN line.

Fax over VoIP can be very temperamental causing excessive hair loss, depending on the hardware used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.