FXO Divert to FXO

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ossiejnr, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ossiejnr

Hi,

I have a Patton 4114 which has 4 FXO ports.....On FXO Port 1 when a certain CallerID phones in, I need to connect that caller to a modem. All other calls need to be handled as voice calls.

I had thought I could try and divert inbound calls from the FXO1 port to a different FXO Port but you can't divert calls to virtual extensions......does anybody have any thoughts on how best to make this work?

Thanks

Chris

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the modem is the type expecting to connect to an FXS, then it won't work connected to an FXO even if you could get the gateway to internally route from one port to another based on CID.

I'm not familiar with the Pattons to know if internal CID routing of any sort is possible. That would leave, either allowing the call through to 3CX, routing the call to an extension, then using CID (forwarding) to have the call ring an ATA. With low speed modems (under 9600?), this might work, with higher speeds, you'd run into the same problem as with Fax machines NOT using t.38, they probably won't work.

You could intercept the call before it reaches the Patton, using an external device that screens Caller ID if the calls came in on only one line. If you have a ring group, from your provider, each line assigned with a real phone number, you could have callers dial a number other than the pilot number. Set-up 3CX trunking so that that trunk is only used for outgoing calls, anyone ring that trunk would only reach the modem, if, the trunk were idle.

3. ossiejnr

Yeah I just finished researching the options and it looks like an ATA is the only real option, which isn't as you say 100% guaranteed to work.....

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A modem will be a "finicky" as a Fax, that is if you don't expect it to run at anywhere near 56K. That said, in the past, I had a fax machine working through 3CX using a SPA-3102 as the gateway and an SPA-2102 as the ATA, so there is hope. It just ends up being trial and error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.