Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

FXO gateway recommendations?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pscs, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscs

We've just switch from an Asterisk based PABX to 3CX, and now our SIP trunk works fine, but the TDM 800 card we had before for linking to our PSTN lines doesn't work.

We hardly use the PSTN lines, but I'd prefer to have it linked into the PABX in case the SIP trunk/ADSL goes down, so we don't have to sit in the server room to answer/make calls, or have long wires draped around the office...

So, is there any one or two port FXO adapter that anyone would recommend in particular (or not recommend) to work with 3CX. Preferably not too expensive.

I've been looking at the Grandstream Handytone 503 or the Linksys SPA3102 - are those any good?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I, myself, prefer the SPA3102. Some people have found it challenging to configure as it can be intimidating, given the options available. Once it is set up properly, it runs with no issues (none that I've experienced). It has a LOT of features that could make it useful long after it is needed in it's current function. It also gives you the "bonus" of an FXS port.
    Be aware that some of the older Grandstream single line gateways did not support incoming caller ID.

3. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

I also support Leejor's opinion.
    SPA-3102 is the best gateway available, robust and reliable with many features and options.
    Of course installer must invest sometime in acquainting with it.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ian Joyce

If the 503 and SPA3102 are your two choices I too would go with the 3102.

If you are willing to spend a bit more for a much better result I would look at the Patton SN4112/JO/EUI.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pscs

Thanks for that - looks unanimous for the SPA3102, so I've ordered one.

I'm sure I'll work out how to set it up - can't be any harder than the recompiling of the Linux kernel that we had to do to get Asterisk working with he TDM800 card...

(While the Patton device may be much better, it's overkill for our need for one PSTN line which may be needed once every couple of years...)

6. Ian Joyce

If that is all you will be using it then the 3102 is a good choice.

7. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello,
    SPA3102 better except echo issues
    it happen when you far from the pstn provider
    grandstream 503 has some issues
    if you far from pstn provider
    you can use GPX4104 with 4 pstn lines

8. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

I've used Pattons support is the best however for one PSTN its definitely over kill. both SPA, and Grandstream devices are solid.

9. KenC

I'm new to all this, but maybe I have a bit to add, and I have a question also.

In using the 3cx links to configure my 3102 as an ATA gateway, I stumbled (read about 24 hours of headbanging) on
    1) my 3cx server can't be plugged into the ethernet port, while the 3102 is connected via the internet port to the LAN; I don't think the 3102 will even respond to **** with a menu if the ethernet port has a connection
    2) the screen shots of the 3102 config pages have required setting THAT ARE NOT IN THE TEXT. for one, do not require registration to make or receive calls
    3) even though the 3102 has configurations in the 3cx gateway config dropdown menus, evidently 3cx does not consider it to be supported for the purpose of the default setting relating to registration of the gateway. Specifically, if I understand the situation correctly, when used as an ATA gateway, the 3102 cannot be a server, and so CANT register, and wont ever register!

Now my question about the 3102:

If I have the gateway set up, and calls are going through properly (so far), can I use an ordinary phone or fax machine in the "phone" jack to intercept calls before the 3cx server picks up? Or, if not, can I use an ordinary POTS line splitter jack before the POTS line connects to the 3102 without screwing up the 3cx functionality?

Thank you all very much!

10. KenC

sorry. Gateway. not ATA. FIOS <=> spa3102 <=> LAN, and 3cx computer <=> LAN.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You should have started a new thread instead of hijacking one dealing with a question about gateway recommendations.

I'm not sure what you attempting to do. You network should already have a router, so you should be connecting the 3102 to it, or a switch on your network via the Blue Internet jack. The Yellow internet jack should not be used unless you really want to make use of the built in router, or you have disabled DHCP and set the jack to the Bridged mode.

Perhaps the firmware of your 3102 is different from the one used as an example? Are you trying to use this as a gateway, an ATA or both?

What do you mean, can't be a server??? You mean a router? The 3102 works just fine as a gateway on 3CX. the ATA portion also works just fine as an extension once you disable some of the "crossovers" between the two.

I have always datafilled mine manually, so I can't speak for any of the auto provisioning.
    You can have a fax machine plugged into the FXS port, and it will answer calls from the PSTN line, but then they will no go onto 3CX. There are a number of timers involved and there is no way to distinguish a fax call, so that if it isn't, the call will go to 3CX.

You can split the PSTN line before the 3102, and some fax machines will actually "monitor" the call, causing the outgoing line the one going to the 3102, to be disconnected if it is in fact a fax. Look for "how to use the fax machine with an answering machine. A fax that supports this will have to have both a line and a phone socket.

Don't know if you've read the admin guide, highly recommended...I think this link still works... http://freddy.linuxtribe.fr/blog/spa3102/SPA_Admn_3102.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.