FXS Gateway for 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by scottcalcp, Aug 16, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottcalcp

I am trying to setup a FXS gateway for our fax machine. I can't really find any reputable vendors for supported FXS gateways. Has anyone used a non supported FXS gateway? If so which one and where can I find setup instructions?
    If not, is a there a better way to accomplish this beside buying an online fax service?

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Patton MATA or AudioCodes Mediant MP112.
    Not easy to setup, but reliable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. scottcalcp

Thanks I'll look into these. Do you know where I can find any kind of info on setting these up?

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

I can send you a profile file for Mediant, if you get one.
    I guess you can find some manuals at manufacturers' sites or just search the internet.

Also you need a provider supporting T.38 fax for reliable operation. For receiving faxes you can simply use built-in 3CX fax server.
    From my experience Cisco SPA 112/122/2102 devices are not working enough reliably.
    Grandstream HT701/702 are working slightly better.

Generally the problem with cheap ATA adapters is they can't handle T.38 protocol enough reliably (no enough CPU power) or can't negotiate or renegotiate T.38 after switching to T.30 (G.711a/µ or PCM-A/U) .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi Scottcalcp,

For Fax I would always recommend (dependent on how many Fax extensions you need) the Patton 4112 JS model.
    https://www.patton.com/voip-gateway/sn4110/

This gateway is a far better solution that the MATA variant (as it runs on Pattons Smartware firmware where the MATA does not). The 4110 range are also fully supported gateways with 3CX also: https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

The 4112 model has recently over gone a refurbishment to keep the cost down, we distribute these products and they work very well with 3CX phone system.

The below guide covers setup for both Analogue and Fax with 3CX:
    https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/patton-smartnode-sn4112-fxs/

Be aware: "The device must be local to 3CX, in the same subnet and/or locally routed subnet" (from the above guide).

I have got these working (beroNet gateways also) using STUN and SBC for hosted 3CX systems however there is no 3CX support for this setup method, auto-provisioning of the gateways is also not available if they are not local to the PBX.

6. scottcalcp

Thanks for your reply. Our 3cx instance will not be locally, so it's hard to justify the cost right now if we don't know that it will work. We could just setup a tunnel to the instance too.
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind as we explore our options.

7. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Yes I would definitely avoid FAX'ing with a hosted system, I have never known anyone have success with this in any remote method - SBC, STUN or VPN. I have been successful with Analogue handsets only.

Perhaps try and convince your customer to move over to an online FAX service instead if possible.

teldata1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.