Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

G.729 Codec

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lowveldrider, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowveldrider

Hi everyone,

I purchased a SIP account from a local Service provider with one number. This Service provider is not in the list of supported 3rd party VOIP providers (as there are none really supported from South Africa) and I have succesfully configured the account using the Generic SIP account. Just one problem: When I try to make an outbound call, it says that the media is not supported and then drops the line. Vox telecoms (the VOIP provider) says that it's because I need the G.729 codec installed. Now my question is: Where do I activate this G.729 license on the generic account? I have tried setting up using the Skype for SIP account and just changing the server details, because that one has the G729 as an available codec, but that doesnt seem to register. I can purchase a codec license from the asterisk website for $10 but that's for the Linux based OS. What to do? please help

2. albertc

G.729 is available in all pay version of 3cx. All you need to do is set G.729 as the prefer codec by Edit Provider, click on the Advance tab. At the bottom, add G.729 to the assigned codecs and move it to the top. That should do it.

3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

G729 is supported in commercial(licensed) versions only .

A question about:
    Sure, you can pay $10 for something which is named "G729 codec license".
    What is the EULA for this license?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lowveldrider

So in other words I must fork out R4000 just so that I can activate the G729 codec to work with my provider? Then I might as well just change to another provider that doesnt force you to use just the G729 codec.

5. albertc

Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.