Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

G729 Codec & BroadVox

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bbusino, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbusino

Hi,

After some testing and captures with Broadvox, I was told the following:

"In the invite Body, the Media Attribute Field is empty" - essentially, when G729 is the only codec available (ie selected on the Advanced tab for voip provider), it is not being passed in the invite request. Additionally when an inbound call is routed to our 3cx system under the same conditions, g729 is available as a codec so the call fails.

This is when 3cx version 8 (small business license) is setup with Broadvox as the only SIP provider and from within the Advanced tab having only G729 in the Codec list.

If a support engineer is reading this, we purchased the SB license and would like to be able to use the G729 codec as we have paid for it. According to the Broadvox engineer, it doesn't seem possible to ever use G729 with any provider as it is missing in the request.

Please help!

2. bbusino

After speaking with BroadVox (a certified VOIP trunk provider) and 3CX, here is what I came up with:

1. Even though BroadVox is a certified trunk provider by 3CX, the G729 Codec is unable to be used. This, in my opinion, should make Broadvox fall into the "Supported" category as clearly the proper diligence was not performed testing with version 8 of 3CX.

2. When I approached my contact at 3CX regarding this discrepancy , the answer i got was "You have to purchase a tech support package in order to resolve the issue".

So 3CX advertises that 3CX Version 8 works 100% with all of its features and is certified to be 100% comparable with BroadVox as a VOIP trunk provider. This is in fact, not true. That wouldn't be so bad save for the fact that 3CX believes that customer should have to pay for tech support to fix problems with their own software. Generally when you pay a support contact for software it covers installation, configuration and user issues.

For Prospective Customers of 3CX: Be prepared purchase a support contract so that you can pay 3CX to fix its own software. The issue isn't that the software may have an issue here or there. Its actually a great PBX. The issue is that they do not stand behind their products and try to squeeze more money out of you in situations that, frankly, don't warrant it.

If anyone can confirm that G729 DOES work with BroadVox specifically (or with any other VOIP provider) I would be interested in hearing about it. The way to test is to limit your VOIP provider (on the Advanced Tab) to use just G729 codec.

Anyone?

3. tuxiteer

I used to use BroadVox as my SIP provider. After many conversations with their technical staff, they only support g711 codecs (uLaw, aLaw).

I switched to CallCentric and I am loving g729 with 3CX as well as my smaller monthly service bill. My call quality has also improved greatly. It could be because of the smaller network footprint of g729 vs g711, or it could be because I am no longer using the BroadVox Chicago POP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.