• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Gateway traffic flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucker

Reaction score
This is a theoretical question; I want to know how traffic would work in a particular scenario so that I can design bandwidth requirements accordingly.

Imagine I have two locations connected via WAN, site A and site B. A 3cx installation exists at site A. SIP phones and an FXO gateway exists at site B.

A call that will ultimately be routed through the FXO gateway at site B is initiated from a SIP phone that is also at site B. After the call is setup, does the voice traffic from the SIP phone at site B communicate with the FXO gateway directly, or does the voice traffic need to flow through the 3cx installation at site A and go back to the FXO gateway at site B?

Thanks

the voice data will go to 3CX and then back to the SIP phone.

ideally, you would have all PSTN lines at the same site as the 3CX system

I don't think that is correct davidbenwell.

See this doc: http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/media-server

It indicates that when two sip devices exist on the same subnet, they are directed to talk directly two each other. There are some prerequisites such as the devices much support reinvites. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iTVerse
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.