GDPR

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ppigmans, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppigmans

Hi,

I was wondering about the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR for short..), lets say i have a PBX setup with a SBC on remote offices, there is NO encryption because we noticed issues on the line.

Are we forced by the GDPR to enable the encryption anyway and thus having more issues with the connection between the PBX and SBC?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

By encryption, do you mean VPN (between sites)? If so, then you would not require the SBC wich would simplify things. as long as your bandwidth is sufficient , you really should not have any issues. If you were advised to install VPN to comply with GDPR, then using for Voice services as well should be considered, but perhaps not required.

#2 leejor, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

GDPR compliance may affect the 'Contacts' storage and processing into PBX and phones, as they reveal personal information and identification like combination of names, phones, companies. Is there any official position about GDPR compliance? I've been asked about this at least by two customers already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ppigmans

Yes i mean site to site, but it still eats away a ton of bandwidith from our customers.
    I was not advised to do anything with GDPR but i still worry about it, considering its right around the corner...

I dont know, but its quite worrying if i may say so...

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You're not the only person/corporation concerned about this, so unless an official edict comes down (with more specific instructions/requirements that apply to PBX trunks), I'd wait a bit to see what the majority of PBX users are planning to do. I'm certain that there will be more discussion about this on the forum.

6. ppigmans

Alright, still.. even though 3CX isnt europian it should know something about this right..?

7. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Why 3CX not being European?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ppigmans

not sure about this but i do believe 3CX is based from America... or was it greece?

9. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

On the GDPR question, as far as I am aware, it only gives guidelines of how to store data, and as @leejor pointed out, there are no specific requirements about how data is transported. This means that technically having the SBC with the encryption off shouldn't mean that you would fail to pass a GDPR compliance test. What would cause this however is if you have the SBC logs set to Verbose, as it rights SIP information including names and extension numbers to syslog in clear text.
    Verbose is for debugging purposes of course and is not enabled by default, so again that shouldn't be a problem.

#9 NickD_3CX, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2017
    ppigmans likes this.
  10. ppigmans

That is exactly what i was looking for, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.