General Configuration

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ljgomez, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljgomez

I am in the process of evaluating 3CX installation and have a few questions as to general capabilities and possible configurations. I am hoping someone out there can provide some ideas or has run into a similar situation. We are located in Mexico so our VoiP provider is not certified with 3CX.

Current voice configuration:
    Fiber Optic lines are delivered through a Huawei SmartAX. Port 1 is our Internet access and is connected to an HP A-MSR-20 router. Port 4 is our IP phone lines w/ 20 trunks and 60 DID's. Port 4 is connected to a MediaMatrix 3000 to convert the digital signal to analog which is then connected to our very old Lucent PBX. In addition, using our Internet access from Port 1, we have two Max 420's and an account with Net2Phone for all calls made in US, Canada, Asia, and Europe (international telephone rates in Mexico are ridiculously expensive). These Max 420's are also connected to our analog PBX. Our PBX of course allows us to create routes for calls and this is how we decide whether to use our local lines or Net2Phone.
    Plan is to install 3CX on Dell 1950 dual quad processors, dual Nic, 8Gig RAM, 2 73Gig HD, and running Win 2008 R2.

Question:
    How to add VoiP providers that are on two separate networks (remember our internet access is separate from our IP lines)

I appreciate any guidance, help, and suggestions anyone can provide.

2. bardissi

bardissi Member

It seems like Port 1 and Port 4 are still giving you an ethernet handoff?

If so use a router / firewall to use both connections is basically a dual wan setup.

The 3CX server will be natted behind that device and then you can build the routing rules to route traffic from either connection to the 3CX server and then segregate what you want going over each connection

Example: Port 1 Internet - 3CX Phone, Web console, wall board, reports etc.
    Example: Port 2 VoIP /SIP - SIP and RTP Traffic.

The idea is to try and not have two active NIC's on the 3CX server.

3. ljgomez

Thanks. I appreciate your suggestion. I was thinking along the same path. One doubt that I am left with is that in the 3CX setup, it calls for your external IP address. The problem is that our internet connection is 187.xxx.xxx.xxx and our IP lines is 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.
    I imagine this is an important part of the configuration.
    I apologize if I am asking basic or dumb questions, while I do have a lot of experience with networks, this is really my first serious incursion into VoiP.

Thanks,

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

the public address is for configuring remote extensions, iphones, androids, etc.
    you have to ensure the firewall has the proper port forwarding...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.