general question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ihs, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ihs

ihs

Hello all
    I have a network with 5 PC's, do I have to install 3CX on all 5 or just the one connected to the PSTN lines?
    The reason I ask is that the soft phones didn't register until i put 3CX on each PC but that doesn't seem right.

Also do i have to get involved with signing up with any servers if I purely want traditional PSTN lines with a hardware gateway and usb phones.
    Many thanks
    Leo

2. jits04

Ok,

uninstall all.

Install 3cx in 1 pc. Disable windows firewall or just open 5060 port tcp/udp on it. For internal call is enought. After 'll be able to register them
    But, please read manual before.

William

3. ihs

ihs

Thanks William
    I'll do that and read the manual, however when you say its enough for internal calls do you mean just intercom calls or will that setup enable us to make traditional PSTN land line calls (non Internet).
    Thanks
    Leo

4. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

What you need is 3cx installed on a "server". Your phones will be configured to connect to the 3cx server. Once that is done you should be able to call extension to extension, leave VM etc.

If you want to use analog/POTS lines you will need a FXO gateway. There is a list of tested ones on the 3cx site. They start around $50USD.

If you want to use VoIP technology for your incoming and outgoing calls then you will need to sign up with a VoIP providor. A list of them is also on the website.

FYI- I'm in the US and have been using nexVortex with 3 setups so far. Support is great and their prices are pretty good with no sign-up or termination fees. Call quality has been near perfect. They also offer multiple calls on a single line which is nice, not sure if others do or not.

5. ihs

ihs

Hey there Rob
    Thats cleared it up a bit, its more or less what I thought but being a bit of a newbe with a busy schedule i didn't want to waste loads of time on it if wasn't gonna be right for our Company.
    probably go with a VOIP server when the Analogue part is running nice and stable.
    Cheers
    Leo