General setup issues/questions from a newbie

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by timfoster, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timfoster

Folks, when I started looking into PBX software I read a few things. Lots of forums were advising going down the asterix route as they all claimed that 3CX was a steep learning curve. Thanks to various people on this forum I've been able to install 3CX and configure it with my unlisted voip provider Voipfone. I've had a few issues along the way, with the help of people here I've been able to overcome most issues and get 3CX working to a degree. Thanks for all the help folks. I must say I disagree with the posts I'd read. 3CX is not a steep learning curve at all. It's relatively straightforward to get things up and running once you understand what you're doing.

I now have a few issues that I can't seem to understand and so I'm hoping that people can help me out again.

So far, I have two extensions set up using softphones. One was automatically configured on a Windows 8.1 and the other was manually configured on an Android device by reading the details from the first account. Both accounts register on the network and can dial each other. Neither though can make external calls. They both say, the number does not exist. I've tried dialing my UK cell phone with 44758*******, +44758******* and 0758******* but I get the same error each time.

I've also tried to set one extension to divert to cell phone. What I want is to divert if the phone isn't on but I've set all options to divert to cell phone as it seemed to go to 3CX voicemail rather than divert when I just set the Forwarding Rule for Away (internal & External calls). However, now I get a message saying transfer failed and I'm diverted back to the main menu.

I suspect I'll be back here again once I have these issues resolved as I'm really pleased with how this works and so want to do more, but if anyone can help me with this, I'd be grateful.

Also, why isn't there a Windows Phone/RT client?

2. way

way

Hi Tim

I believe the problem you are having this problem from not having correctly configured outbound rules. More info on this at http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/outbound-rules-a-complete-example/

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

With regard to your question about WIN 8RT, keep in mind that 3CX is a IP-PBX whose envisioned installation is into businesses. The WIN8RT platform is not thought of as an operating system that most businesses will adopt and use, the key word being "most". Just as 3CX developed and deployed the softphone for the WIndows platform first followed by Android and then the iOS, my guess is that they develop to the larger needs and work their way down as time and customer demand dictates.

Further and perhaps more importantly, WIN RT runs under a different processer (ARM) and therefore requires a different development cycle. Prior V10 (RT was not available) and V11 versions of the client (MyPhone) phone also used Silverlight, which I do not think RT will support; the up-shot being that V12 is the first release to possibly entertain RT development.

As you can see, they are just now getting the more popular softphones updated, so perhaps they will develop a client or softphone for the RT. I have not tried either (MyPhone or WInphone6) on the RT as I do not haveone, but rather the Pro.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Be sure that the options, of the extensions (in 3CX) are set to allow outside calls. Check that your outbound rules are not restricted to certain, or a range of extensions.

Look at the 3CX logs, right after attempting a call that fails, what is showing as the reason?

5. timfoster

Fantastic! Thank you for all your help folks.

I can now divert all calls in Spanish directly to a cell phone. I've setup three rules (thanks way), one for international calls beginning 00, one for international calls beginning + and one for everything else (beginning 0), which I hope will be everything else! I had a slight problem to begin with as I'd entered the cell numbers as 44758... but after having a look at the log (thanks to leejor) I discovered that the number 447858... was not valid. I've corrected that and it works beautifully!

One last question, and I just want to confirm that I understand this correctly. When a call comes in from México and gets routed to the UK cell phone we're paying for a call from the UK to the UK cell phone aren't we? The Mexican caller pays for their call to our VoIP number only. Is this correct?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Correct, as your 3CX is essentially answering the incoming call, then placing a second call, then connecting the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.