Get Caller ID from External Database?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by discovery1, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Hi Everyone

I have a potential customer that needs the caller ID lookup functionality of Trixbox

Each call that comes in gets looked up in their SQL database by way of an HTTP request …. http://server/trixbox/cidlookup.asp?cid=[cid] which in turn returns a customer name (if found) which is then shown on their IP phones.

I have asked 3CX support about this and it can probably be done using the 3CX softphone, but i need it to work with the VOIP phones on their desks.
    Has anyone been able to pass requests to and from 3CX like this?
    Would it be the same as the "override caller id" setting on an incoming line? Could we pass requests like this for every incoming call using the API?

Could we populate the phonebook with customer details from the external database so their details could be displayed on the screen of the IP phone?

John

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Hi Matt

Thanks for the reply. It looks as though there should be some way to pass the incoming caller ID to 3CX.
    Is the phonebook used to lookup caller names from an extension number or external DID?

If it was there should be a way to populate the phonebook from the external database.

It looks as though i'm going to have to dig a bit deeper to see if there is a way to do this using one of the php pages.

Any other suggestions appreciated - without this functionality i cant make the sale :-(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. discovery1

discovery1 Member

The problem is i need the 3CX server to do it for every incoming call prior to routing it to the extension or ring group.

eg.
    The customer has an incoming call from XYZ company - the 3CX server needs to look at the incoming number and match it to an entry in the external database then route the call with the Caller Name and phone number displaying on the LCD screen of the IP phone. The customer is not using any soft phones in their organisation.

This way the customer can answer the phone and say "Hi Joe Bloggs from XYZ company, how are you today" without the caller needing to identify themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.