Getting the tunnel working - help needed

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by hades, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hades

Here is the situation so far...

When trying to connect via a tunnel on the 3CX phone I get...

Translation file OK
    Attempting to connect <IP REMOVED>:5070
    Tunnel got as listening port 65412
    Tunnel got as local SIP port 65413
    Phone got as local port 65414
    Integration with 3CX Call Assistant is ON
    RTP engine OK
    SIP engine OK
    Sound mic device OK [{5BCA6EA9-8E4E-43A3-AB8C-0223AE35A9B8}]
    Sound ring device OK []
    Sound play device OK [{9C98A082-621D-4304-ACFF-0C67B54A857C}]
    Attempting to start the tunnel
    Tunnel required cfg file:C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Local\3CX VoIP Phone\3CxVoipPhone.ini
    Tunnel logfile output:C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Local\3CX VoIP Phone\Logs
    Tunnel logging: off
    Tunnel connection created OK
    Tunnel started
    Tunnel is attempting to connect remote end 123456 [<IP REMOVED>:8555]
    Tunnel connection established
    Tunnel send from phone to PBX: REGISTER
    Tunnel received from PBX status 408

Our server has 2 local IP addresses and I have tried using both in the phone's tunnel config and get the same result with both.

I even get the same result if I enter 127.0.0.1 as the tunnel's local IP.

There is a Cisco firewall in front of the server however all ports are open when connecting from my WAN IP address.

Windows firewall is completely turned off on both server and local PC.

Out local router is set to allow all outbound connections and inbound responses.

Any ideas?

2. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

In Settings> Advanced > local sip domain try and set it to your external address and see if that helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hades

I just tried that and still the same problem.

As a point of note there appears to be no log entries created on the 3CX management console when trying to connect via the tunnel.

I can get connected without the tunnel but then internal extension -> extension calls have no audio and external calls only work intermittantly.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the 3CX logs don't show any sign of a connection attempt, then, either the remote end isn't connecting to the correct site (where 3CX resides) or more likely, something, (firewall/router?) is blocking the port. The audio problems during non-tunnel connections also seem to point to the second cause.

5. hades

I have DMZ'd my local machine on our office outer and the servers hardware firewall is configured to allow all ports from our office WAN IP.

Windows firewall is completely turned off on both ends.

I ran the firewall checker on the PBX and it passes all tests.

Any other ideas?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A place to start might be pinging (your 3CX public IP):5070 and (your 3CX public IP):5060. Since a non-tunnel connection works to a point (audio issues) you might see if the response is the same in both pings.

The other thing, if it is possible with your particular set-up, is to put the 3CX installation on a public IP (not behind a router), or place it behind a different/simple/home type router set-up to see if the issues continue to exist It's a matter of changing/eliminating things between 3CX and the remote location to determine what is causing the problem(s).

7. hades

Ok, some further information now...

Pinging the PBX's public IP works fine.
    Pinging the public IP with ":5070", ":5060" or ":8555" (our tunnel port) fails with a "could not find host" error.

When connecting from our office IP without the tunnel I can connect fine, make calls via pbx, receive calls via pbx and audio is all fine. Only problem is that any call made/received cuts off after 30secs to 1 minute.

I cannot get the same behaviour from another location (my home). I can get it to connect and dial but get no audio from the PBX. At home I am using a BT Home Hub. I have opened my public IP in the PBX's firewall, disabled the firewall in the home hub and windows firewall is open.

I still cannot get the tunnel to connect from either location.. always get the same "Status 408".

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I suspect that this may be caused by an acknowledgement not being received by 3CX when the call has been answered. Which sort of pints to packets nit getting through to 3CX.

This sounds like packets unable to get through the router at your home end. Usually, and there may very well be exceptions, packets don't have a problem getting out of a router (the 3CX end), so I suspect an issue with the BT router settings. It doesn't happen to have a VoIP ATA built in ,does it? That sort of thing can "intercept" some packets if not completely disabled. Some routers just don't "play well" with VoIP, that may be the case here or it could be some other setting(s) that is incorrect.

I would do a web search specifying the model numbers of your routers and something like "VoIP settings" or "VoIP issues"

9. hades

My home router does have VOIP capability as it is a BT Home Hub, however there is no VOIP capability on the office router.

Any ideas what might be causing the packets to drop between the office and the pbx?

10. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

408 error - according to your description - means there is no proper connection between PBX and its tunnel. These two are installed on the same machine, and by default tunnel listens from PBX on port 5080. You said that machine has two IPs, ip_1 and ip_2. Please try, on that machine, to open a command prompt window and there try
    telnet ip_1 5080
    and, respectively
    telnet ip_2 5080
    and see which works.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This site has the settings for your BT Home hub when used with 3CX at the 3CX end.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BTHomeHub/3CX.htm

You may be encountering problems at your home end because of the built in ATA. It may be intercepting packets before they can get through to the VoIP devices behind the router. I'm pretty sure that BT did not intend you to use a competing VoIP provider with their router so you may have to find a work around.

12. hades

IP 10.X.X.X - Port 5080 - connects to a blank screen... nothing else
    IP 192.X.X.X - Port 5080 - connects to a blank screen... nothing else

IP 192.X.X.X - Port 8555 (my tunnel port) -
    Code:
    ♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK

Connection to host lost.
    IP 10.X.X.X - Port 8555 (my tunnel port) -
    Code:
    Connecting To 10.X.X.X...Could not open connection to the host, on port 8555: Connect failed
    So from that I gather that the 192 address is the one to use... but since I've tried both of them I don't understand what this gets us?

13. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

It seems I was blind first time: :oops: You reconfigured your PBX's SIP port from default 5060 to 5070?
    "Attempting to connect <IP REMOVED>:5070"

if you did NOT, then either don't specify a port, either specify 5060
    "Attempting to connect <IP REMOVED>"
    or
    "Attempting to connect <IP REMOVED>:5060"

If this port is not the PBX's one, you will get 408 error for sure. Remember what I said, because tunnels are connected properly, the whole problem is on PBX machine, between PBX and its tunnel. Try on that machine a telnet to <IP REMOVED> 5070.

14. hades

Fixed.. thank you very much.

Even though I had changed the SIP port on the PBX to 5070 as well as using that as the port in the soft-phone it looks like this was the problem.

I can't remember why we changed it now, the SIP Port setting came over from an older install. Changed it to 5060 and all is working.

Many thanks to you and everyone else here that's been helping me.

15. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

I'm glad is working. Remember, everytime time you get a 408 error message from phone's tunnel, there is a communication problem between PBX and its tunnel.
    Regards
    vali

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.