Gizmo as remote (WAN) extension on 3CX?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by vanDivX, Feb 21, 2007.

1. vanDivX

Hi there, I have this idea which might not be feasible at all, I am new to SIP telephony as well as to 3CX or any other PBX

I installed 3CX in remote location (where I have remote access to - at my parents house) and created several extensions plus configured and successfully registered PSTN line on SPA3102 voipgate on which there is a phone on Line1

I have also forwarded ports on my router - SIP 5060, Stun 3478, RTP 9000-9007 and RTP 7000-7007, all UDP (the idea of the last 7000 range was that I would have 'WAN' extensions rather than LAN as normally and I thought it can't hurt things and can be disable later if not needed after all)

now in my current location I installed Gizmo software, made acct and then in Options-Advanced field, I selected Transport Setup 'Custom' and put in my own vaues of SIP Port ID: 5060 (orig value 64064) and RTP Port ID: 9000 (orig val 5004) and also pressed the button there Connection Settings and filed in Manual Proxy Configuration HTTP: http://x.x.x.x:5060 and pressed button Authentication and input in there my 3CX login Username and Pass for one of my Extensions I made there previously...

then I logged out of Gizmo and attempted to login to remote 3CX by writing as Account Name and Pass my 3CX Extension name and pass

that didn't connect anywhere, so I checkmarked box at the bottom on the Gizmo login pannel 'Login to Asterisk, PBX.... and configured it again with my 3CX Extension login details - you input there IP:port and Name and Pass BUT it still won't connect, it pops up window that I must be connected to internet and such stuff, I also can watch 3CX in remote location and it shows nothing happening, not even in system logs

so I was gonna ask if this whole idea is no good at all because one can't have WAN extensions to 3CX or it should be done some other way?

I thought I would make everybody in the family to install Gizmo and connect remotely in the same way to their premade extensions and we could call each other like if we sat in offices next to each other plus call our parents on that Line1 hardware phone attached to SPA voipgate, in effect the 3CX PBX would be our private Voip Service Provider

vanDivX

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can't you just do IP to IP? Does it have to go through a PBX?

I am not familiar with Gizmo, but is the VoIP stuff done on the PC where GIZMO is installed?

Here is an other idea, make each fam member a Provider (this so you can latch an IP or domain name to a number). Something like

MUM Provider when you dial extension 100 it goes to MUM provider which in turn knows MUM's IP address. Than Gizmo might be able to see it as incoming VoIP call and do its thing (if the provider (that will be you) is setup as VoIP gateway.

I think that might be your best shot to get a WAN IP latching to an extension, an to trick GIZMO in accepting the call.

Hmmm interesting concept, let us know how ya go.

3. vanDivX

the situation is that my mum lives by herself in the house and we (her children) are scatered about the country in EU with myself even living in Canada and we call each other quite frequently, I use Voipjet to call PSTN lines from Diax softphone (mainly my mother as she can't handle PC) or I use Skype for PC2PC calls to my brothers

I installed special desktop PC (mobile processor CoreDuo T2400 which is economical on power consumption since this PC should run 24/7) in my mum's house for security cameras, I thought it would be good to run PBX on it too given that 3CX runs on windows and that machine would run around the clock anyway, I suppose I could have the PBX running at my own place but I have very good remote access to control that PC in my mum's house and its not terribly busy with security thing and I think one PBX is enough, also I put SPA in there to hook up analog phone that my mum can use easily and I plan to have another SPA at my own place and perhaps if it works ok, every one of us in the family could have their SPA at home

Diax softphone (that I use with Voipjet) as its name gives away is IAX based, so I looked around and Gizmo looked like a decent SIP softphone to use with SIP based 3CX PBX (if anybody has better recomendation than Gizmo let me hear it) I don't like too much those Xlite looking like types of softphones, technical no nonsense looks are better, Skype is also ugly (but what you gonna do, its in different league anyway)

Actually now as I write this it came to me why not use 3CX softphone, that looks good enough and is SIP of course (I suppose people might find it ridiculous even bothering about looks but there you go). I guess my idea with Gizmo was that you can see if your contacts are there alive, not sure 3CX phone can do that, also don't know yet if its messaging abilities are developped enough to serve as chat like program or if it is just rudimentary tool to send notes to people who you called up first but it might be worth experimenting with to see if the basic idea is solid, that is if you can have 'remote extensions', I also have to say I love the ability of Skype to send files over, it is very handy, not many phones do that even if they have messaging

Extensions are normally connected on LAN, like in office setting, be they soft phones or hardware ones (SipPhones hooked directly to LAN that are capable of acting like interoffice intercom as well as calling other extensions). My idea is if I could do just that except that the extension phones would be not on LAN but out there on WAN (in scale and separation)

I just checked and Gizmo has what they call a Secondary Logon which apparently is used to "login to your office phone system or other voice sevice" and it also says "Login to Asterisk, PBX or other voice service" which is precisely what I want except it might be meant for local LAN login...
    I entered there as Server: http://3CXIP:5060 and as Acct Name and Pass I put in my 3CX Extension ID and Pass but it doesn't register

perhaps some expert might advise me that it is not feasible, perhaps it could be worked the other way around as you seem to suggest when you say - 'get a WAN IP latching to an extension and trick GIZMO into accepting the call.' although it is not quite clear to me yet

in this pbx you can make PSTN lines and Extension lines and Voip Provider lines, the last seems to be the reverse of what I am trying to do as it is something looking out to WAN to register to some PBX run by a Voip provider, the extensions might only work with LAN phones and PSTN with Voip gate like SPA but that might have to be located on LAN with the PBX... at least that's how I suspect it is

my idea was in effect to make my mum's house where 3CX PBX is located into a voip provider place, like Voipjet is and when you would start softphone on internet it would register to that PBX at my mum's house, same as it now registers with Voipjet (or Vonage or whatever)

also, what I am trying to do might be done way more simply without pbx and what not else, simply doing sip number calling and forget about pbx and so on but that is so unimaginative scratching behind your right ear with right hand :)

vanDivX

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

GOODY :lol:

You are about to start your own BELL Canada or something :).

Ill have to read this post again with some red wine etc to get it clear.

If you have direct (fixed IP) you config should be able to work but you have NAT and possible firewall issues. This is where STUN might be the way to go. I noticed in the other post that you have troubles with STUN atm.

I am not sure if 3CX can function as a STUN (do not know enough about this stuff yet) but try anyway. UDP port to use for stun is 3478. (so 3CXIP:3478)

To register your server try the straight IP (without the http bit) also each extension might need each own SIP port in this config 5060 5061 etc.

If your calls do not stay within the same network segment (eg same network IP) NAT will be used and that is when you need STUN to assist with NAT (well that is how it works I believe). If the IP is the same eg all phones are on 192.168.0.x you are ok. But considering that your family is al over EU I suspect they will have different network segments.

So it is WAN, like you said. My understanding is that in that case STUN is needed and possible more ports (one port per GIZMO) only one connection can happen at the same time per port.

But like I said I need a good glass of RED and some time to let this sink in.

Did anybody told you lately that you are really pushing the boundaries ??? :) But hey if it is possible then why not LOL

5. vanDivX

Bell Canada, LOL, I suppose if Goliath or how you spell it could win or compete in this case, so can I :)

anyway, I had some red wine but have enough of it tonight, installed Gizmo on local machine with 3CX but somehow can't log on via that secondary acct (to 3CX) I tried direct LAN IP and with port and also with http bit but no success, login was to premade Extension BTW, I must be doing something wrong because it should log in to PBX, they even say that's what that secondary login in Gizmo is for, might be those ports or its not meant to log in as extension perhaps

maybe its those ports you talk about, I will look tomorrow in next effort if you can specify ports for each extension, for now I shut the machine down, reboot might only help it anyway

vanDivX

6. vanDivX

:D it works, I had no success with Gizmo and was begining to doubt if what I wanted to do was posible at all but then I installed 3CX phone and I could register them to extensions right away, both from local machine and machine on LAN and also from remote machine on WAN which was most important

only thing that bugs me now is that the calls between extensions get terminated at exactly one minute mark, why is that :?

it has to be some setting in 3CX pbx or in the 3CX phone, its uncanny but when one minute strikes it disconnects... ho hum, any techs out there care to advise me on that? given it happens always right on 60 second mark, it should be some funky preset doing that, it can't be disconnection due to some flaky connection

only thing I can think of is that I am testing it alone meaning I call up extension on remote PC to which I have remote control access and I accept the call there but then I am able to do some talking only on my local side, not on the remote side and perhaps the phone is set so that if you don't talk for a minute it drops the connection? is that so?
    because if that is so, then that's no big problem although I would preffer longer period for this to happen, like five minutes maybe

vanDivX

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:lol: :p :roll: :?: :!: :idea:

Well that sums it up I guess.

Good stuff, now share share how did you do it :).

Re disconnect after 60 seconds, you are spot on. If no "voice" traffic is detected the phone will disconnect. This is most likely set on the phone or on your gateway you can set it at both. I am not aware of any settings in 3cx that do that.

Hey all good, so I guess I have to sell my Bell Canada shares now...... :)

8. vanDivX

don't start selling just yet, I was today working on it with my brother and we could talk while both of us were in remote locations on internet relative to each other and to the 3CX PBX and we were connected to it as extensions... that end of it is good, you just call 225 or what number is the extension you want to call and you connect and it holds and it doesn't disconnect at one minute mark but we experienced some sound problems

I think those were related to our windowsXP installations though and to those USB phones we used, my brother has his phone associated with Skype and it wouldn't want to let go of it and I didn't hear him talk at all, then with mic and speakers I could hear him but only weakly while he could hear me fine... I think he has to look around at his sound card settings (that's not exactly simple these days with fancy (read numerous) controls available)

after we made some calls, I was watching what is happening with 3CX line status display and I noticed that even if we both hung up and those extensions would go from yellow (in use) to green light (which is normal for registered extensions that are not in use), before long the 3CX would indicate we are again calling each other while we weren't, if I rang my brother and hung up right away, the light would go green but not his and before long both would turn yellow and call time would go up, it raked over an hour of calling that way, it wasn't in the way and if I didn't remotely monitor the PBX I would have thought all was OK

in the end I fixed it by restarting PC, I suppose I could have gone into XP services and shut down and started again the 3CX service but it would be more convenient if you could restart the PBX from its webcontrol page

another thing I couldn't figure out is how you send each other written messages from 3CX phone, you can go to phone book tab and you have there automatically all the numbers for the calls you successfully made, you right click on one of them and select 'send message' and it puts ext#@IP:port in the message tab and your write your message and press send and it goes to the field to right... so far so good, except my brother never got my message and I never got his, if anybody knows how to operate it let me know (also would be good if you didn't have to use mouse to click the send button, perhaps it could be triggered by Tab or something, I must say I like to use Enter in composing messages which other programs don't let you becuse they use it for 'Send' command)

as to how it is all setup, you make your extension in PBX for every potential user (I keep 'Extension number' the same three digit number as 'AUthentication ID', best is to use the last three digits of PSTN number of your intended extension party or put in his house number, if that is too short, put zeros in front of it to pad it to min three which I think is required length by progam, the whole trick is to satisfy program needs while making up numbers easy to recall)

in 3CX phone you only have to enter the Authorization ID and Pass under User Name and Password fields, in Proxy/Registrar you put IP:port (no http or anything, just IP numbers, port is 5060 if you left it at default) and that's it, as soon as you save the settings it registers if all is right

however I found that when I restarted the PBX, it came back with extensions not registered while all the phones in all locations were showing registered status (green light) and I think they stayed that way even while the PBX was being restarted... then to get the extensions registered at the PBX, I had to either press 'Save' button on the Configuration tab of the 3CX phone or I had to shut it down and start it again for it to be registered by PBX, I think it is some minor bug, perphaps it doesn't alter functionality of phones and the PBX interface is just not refreshed or something

last thing, I can't figure out how to call from Extension to that harware phone hooked to Line1 of the SPA3102, I have that PSTN line registered in the PBX but I can't make that phone ring when I call from Extension

the PSTN line got assigned 'Internal number' 10000 which is the same as its Authorization ID (it is supposed to be out of extension range and this was automatically offered to me by the program) but when I try to call 10000@WAN_IP:5060, the phone doesn't ring, I thought it should be the same calling as when I called my brother's extension, PSTN line is technically also an extension too I suppose, I also tried to call the actual phone number assigned to this PSTN line - phone#@WAN_IP:5060 but still no ring

I have to add that I didn't connect PSTN physical wire to that line ports on SPA, so I couldn't call to PSTN now, I have done it for safer operation while I am figuring how it all works, I don't have any strong passes for easy fast access to everything and this way nobody can cause much any damage even if he hacked in

what I want to do is call that hardware phone from those 3CX phone extensions I have operational now

I said keep those shares in your safe box still, reason is my internet upload where the 3CX PBX sits is only 256KB/s which limits my capabilites somewhat, I don't think it can rival Bell Canada, not yet anyway but still I think it should make for decent calling of two parties, maybe when conferencing it might become issue

vanDivX

/Edit: Gizmo is buggy as far as registering to VSP as well as to SIP server at the same time, I got rid of it