Gizmo5 alternative?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by vwgtiturbo, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vwgtiturbo

Hello there, I was using 3CX on my Android phone (EVO), using it to call out through Gizmo5. Nothing complicated (e.g. no hardware, no call in, etc.) and all worked great. Since Gizmo has closed, I looked for an alternative and settled on using Truphone. Truphone's app, however, is horrible, leading my phone to reboot at random, sketchy connections, and the fact that it doesn't respect the EVO proximity sensor is a pain, as I am always turning on my flashlight from the notification bar with my face. Anywho, the search again continues, but I am simply overwhelmed by the volume of choices, and don't know which choices would work for my meager needs.

I ran across Gizmo via recommendation, and loved it, so here I am again, asking for a recommendation for a SIP provider. Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are many SIP providers that provide outgoing (long Distance ) service only, on a per call/minute/second basis. Obviously your location will determine the best provider for you. As long as they are SIP based, there should be no hardware issues, although those do arise when using the 3CX PBX with some . A quick search came up with this list. http://pbxpress.com/sip-providers.php

There are many others, if you do some looking. Calling rates are generally around 1.5 cents US (or less) for North America and most of Western Europe, but they do vary as do how they bill (6 seconds, 30 second, minute rounding, etc.). A number of companies do not charge a monthly fee, you just pay for the time you use. If you settle on a company that seem to suit your needs, then do a search for "reviews" of that company to see the experiences of other when using them. If you do have problems, you want a company the provides decent customer service, not one that you can never reach. A number of providers are mentioned in this forum, but, many times in conjunction with the PBX, not just the soft phone. Obviously if a providers name comes up , and it's only because there is a problem, then that might be a provider to keep off the short list..

3. vwgtiturbo

Thanks Leejor. I did some Google searching, and there were so many options, I just couldn't decipher what services were hardware based, versus softphone, etc. I hadn't run across your referenced link, so I will check that out and see what is available.

Thanks again!

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

For the most part, if it is SIP, then services will work with a piece of hardware or a soft phone, except for the ID sent the devices will "look" the same. You are probably looking for an outgoing only service for individual lines, that should eliminate providers that are more interested in supplying trunks for business use. Look for a provider that doesn't require an overly large start-up deposit. It should not cost you anything to sign up and your credit should not expire, nor should there be any monthly fees. As I said, seek out on-line reviews of the companies you narrow down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.