Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Global default for CTI mode for 3cx client

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mholman, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mholman

I see several posts about how to change the default value (IP Phone or Softphone) per extension, but I would like to make this change globally and also have it be the default setting when establishing a new user/extension.
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/3cx-client-keeps-defaulting-to-softphone-mode.46396/

Is there a way to change the default when setting new?
    Is there a way to change all existing extensions without going to each one individually?

We are on 15.5.3849.1

Thanks

#1 mholman, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @mholman

Please note that there is no way to change the default setting when creating a new extension however there is a way to change this to all created extensions at the same time. Select all extensions either with Ctrl or the Shift key and Edit them. Navigate to the Phone Provisioning tab and change the call control to IP phone

3. mholman

Too bad about not being able to change the default for new setups. Maybe in the future...

For editing multiple at once, I did find that as an option yesterday after this post; however, we get an error for all the extensions saying about the web client password saying, "Stronger password required. Min length 6". Do we have to go assign a password to each of these individually first? Or what is the best way to handle that?
    Thanks again

4. apostolis_3CX

apostolis_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi mholman,

As you must have noticed when selecting more than one extension to edit, some options are not displayed. One of these options is the authentication passwords. Since every extension should have it's own unique password for security reasons, you can not assign the same value for multiple extensions with the above method. You could export your extensions and make the changes in the exported csv file, and then import the new csv file. The extension import will not work if the extension already exists it will skip the import. It is not meant for mass changes it is meant for extension import. If not handled correctly you could cause more problems. It is better advised to change the passwords manually from the dashboard.

5. mholman

Thanks and one final question on the original topic. This need to set the 3cx client "call control" to IP Phone is a new issue and does not seem to be an issue for all users. For example, my 3cx client is set as Softphone and I can exit and re-launch the 3cx client fine and it automatically registers and sets itself as Deskphone. However, most new users were experiencing the 3cx client unable to register each time it launches and it just keeps trying and failing. If they manually change it to Deskphone that it works fine until the next logoff/exit. Setting it to default to IP Phone seems to be a workaround and unexplainable why only some users have this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.