Go back to the old firmware update system

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by boomschtick, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boomschtick

I just upgraded from V11 to V12. I'm impressed with all the fixes and security updates, like securing the phones web interfaces.

I'm more than a bit annoyed by the changes to the firmware update system. I can only use firmware that 3cx has tested. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but at the moment I don't WANT to use just what they have tested.

I want to be able to go to the LATEST version of the firmware. For 3cx to tell me that I can only go to an approved firmware and I'm required to have a service agreement to do so is beyond absurd. Where is the public outcry on this?

I think it's a great feature, but I should be able to choose how I want to do firmware updates. I'm not going to update the firmware of 100 phones by going one-by-one to their web interfaces, which by the way, GrandStream does not even have the ability to do.

Please tell me that I've just missed the setting where I can turn this off! Tell me that 3cx has not shoe stringed me into such an unfavorable position!

Thanks

2. boomschtick

Bump...

No comments from anyone?

3. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

The reason for this is to ensure the features are fully supported and will work without issues. using untested firmware in a live environment is never good practice. another reason is if you have any issues with the phones working on 3CX and you need support. Soon as its noticed you are on a non-supported version, 3CX will not provide support.

At least with this you know you are running fully tested / supported firmware with 3CX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. boomschtick

And having to have an active service agreement to use what used to be a fundamental part of the product (firmware upgrades), is for our benefit as well? How does that benefit anyone but 3cx?

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Will sets not upgrade using another method?

I would think that if a particular version is not yet "supported" by 3CX, then there may not be a valid reason to upgrade to it. Not all upgrades offer enough benefits that make them worthwhile. If it doesn't actually provide some sort of tangible improvement, then I usually wait for the "dust to settle".

6. boomschtick

I would say that's generally true, but they are saying "thou shalt not" pretty loudly here. Thou shalt not have the latest version even if you WANT the latest version, and if you don't pay for support, thou shalt not have any help upgrading your firmware in the most convenient way.

I take issue with the support requirement more than having 3cx's blessing on the version of firmware that you use.

7. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Doesnt matter if you have service agreement or not, I ran into the same issue with Grandstream handsets couldnt upload the firmware of my choice (newest firmware) via 3cx..... I had to do it from each phone.... As far as using unsupported end points or firmware its something we do literally every day with no issues granted 3cx wont suport those devices but we can handle that on our own in house and have never had an issue as far as those devices go. If its an issue of too many handsets to do so manually can you not alter the provisioning template to manually pull firmware of your choice from server of your choice?? i...e if its a grandstream point the firmware.grandstream.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. boomschtick

I appreciate your input! In my opinion, having a technical work around isn't really the issue. I know that updates can be done in other ways, but it is clearly the most convenient to be able to do it right through the 3cx console.

My issue is what I feel is an anti-consumer policy. It might just be me, but it seems like 3cx is taking a point of view that the customer does not know what's best for their environment. The customer has to conform to how 3cx says it has to be instead of the other way around. To top it off, you have to pay money to use a feature in their software to be shoehorned their idea of what your environment should look like.

It smells like a money grab to me, and I don't like it. That's my opinion and .02 worth.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

And some may not, or, simply think that a higher numbered firmware version must be better.

It may be that a large number of "issues" (customers with service contracts contacting 3CX support) are being caused because users have loaded their sets with an unsupported firmware version. Throwing up a roadblock, such as this, may be an attempt to cut down on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.