Going in circles...**USER PROBLEM

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Mullenlaw, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mullenlaw

We are evaluating 3cx to replace an outdated digital pbx system.
    I bot a few Polycom phones (ip550 and ip335). After a few issues I got the 550's setup and a SIP account activated.

But, I was having problems with the phones. no dial tone, etc. even though the option "pbx provides dialtone" was checked.
    Then I read I should update the bootrom. Okay.

Now the fun begins...
    The documentation says to always use the latest 3cx tested versions. Where the hell are these? I can find them anywhere.
    So I downloaded the latest stuff from Polycom.

The phones boot up and display their extension number, etc but 30 seconds later they reboot...
    Menu key doesn't work to try and reformat the phone, etc.

Now I don't want to plug in any more phones....

Suggestions on how to fix this?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Re: Going in circles....

The dialtone is produced by the phone (or ATA), in the case of 3CX (and most, if not all, SIP based systems).

3CX doesn't provide firmware for any devices, as you've discovered, you have to get that from the manufacturer.

3. mfm

mfm Active Member

Re: Going in circles....

Hi,

Welcome to the 3cx forums, if you havent already please take your time yo read trough the rules of the forum.

The guides indicate on what firmware we have done the tests on, this does not mean it wont work on later version on the firmware however users know that is the firmware we support. please contact polycom for these firmware.

On the other hand the pbx does not have the option PBX delivers dial tone rather it is PBX delivers audio, which means once the call is made it will deliver the audio between the pbx and the phones rather than directly between phones.

The issue you are having is phone related, and a phone would not normally produce a dial tone if it is not registered.

Its sounds like your phones have not been factors reset before attempting to connect them with 3cx. My suggestion are as follows:

1. Factors reset the devices.
    2. Provision the phones.

Since the menu key is failing, please contact polycom so they can guide you to factory reset them properly, it sound like that are attempting to pickup a configuration file but failing to do so.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.