Grandstream Auto Provisioning

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by steveyc, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveyc

Help!....i cannot get Grandstream GXP1200 to auto provision. i am trying to use DHCP on the domain controller with option 66 set to the url http://10.0.0.21:5000/provisioning. This is a test setup with a brand new free edition 3CX all up to date. When the phone boots it says auto provisioning and seems to donwload the config files, however it never appears in the phones section on 3cx and the server activity log never shows it's presence. i have reserved the phone ip and mac in dhcp and added the provisioning url in there too.

3cx running on win7 (tryed XP) with Abyss brand new phone and fresh install......i want to auto provision as the site loses power and i want the phones to recover gracefully.

2. GSsupport

Hi steveyc,

Please file a ticket in Grandstream ticketing system
    http://www.grandstream.com/support/submit-a-ticket

When you open the ticket, please describe the issue, how you configured the DHCP option 66, which DHCP server you are using, which firmware is loaded to your GXP1200, screenshot of your advanced settings from the phone
    If you can also provide a wireshark trace while the phone is booting up it will be very helpful

Best regards,
    GSsupport

3. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

I am not aware of a template for the GXP1200. Ordering one Monday and will let you know. For just about the same $$$ you can get a 1400 and that is a great phone that uses the standard GXP2100 provisioning template.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. steveyc

All problems solved.....this is what i did in the end...set a reservation in DHCP for one of the phones say 192.168.16.70 then set option 66 for that ip reservation http://192.168.16.99:5000/provisioning. This sets up MS DHCP which is on a domain controller.
    Then add an extension say 101...add name etc then go to phone provisioning tab and key in the phone Mac address and the model...then reboot phone and hey presto after a couple of reboots the phone appaers in the phones section fully configured...also change the system time on the 3CX so all phones are synched correctly. i setup an additional 5 GXp-1200's like this + a GXP2110 for use as a small switchboard etc.
    I was under the impression that just by setting option 66 in DHCP that the phones would somehow provision themselves (without keying the MAC address) but this was not the case...so either DHCP option 66 is not getting thru to the phones or autoprovisioning won't work on the Grandstream models i used.
    How would you get on if u had 200 phones to configure? (key all the MACS i suppose)

Any comments?

5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

You positively do NOT need to set a reservation. You just need to set either the SCOPE OPTION or SERVER OPTION for 66 to be what you descibed. As far as I know, the time is NOT supplied by the 3CX server but pool.ntp.org and you can specify via 3CX the timezone and any offset.

I am not familiar with the 1200, but if it has PnP the phones will show up under Phones and you can assign them to an extension. This copies the MAC for you and then reboots the phone after sending the provisioning location via INVITE.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.