Grandstream GXW-4108 Gateway on remote site

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by chrischevy, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrischevy

Here's the situation:

We have a remote office in Newfoundland. Because of a crappy Internet connection, we'll have to set them back with analog lines.

We ordered a Grandtream GXW-4108 Gateway so that they can use analog lines for external calls (incoming and outgoing) and use VOIP for internal calls (the remote office is connected to our main office via a VPN).

On the setup guide http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/Grandstream-GXW-41044108/ NO LONGER AVAILABLE, the fifth step states that:
    Does that mean that the gateway cannot be on a remote site, even though it's connected via vpn ?
    Is anyone using a similar setup ?

Thank you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

I will summarise what I think it is that you are doing at the Newfoundland site. 8 analogue lines to the local phone provider, connected to 3CX that is located at another site, linked via VPN. IP phones on site, to make calls internally over IP and externally using the gateways.

First of all this configuration is NOT supported by 3CX. I have however setup a similar situation, but using Linksys SPA3102 gateways, and this works fine. I have not tried it with a GXW-4108. You have to ensure that the RTP traffic is kept local. To do this, go to the PSTN device settings for the gateway, go to advanced, and unitck "pbx delivers audio". Instead tick "supports reinvite". You might need to tick "supports replaces" as well.

This may or may not work. A much better solution is to have a 3CX at the remote site. This will use the gateways properly and is supported. You will need to setup a bridge to the other 3CX. With the right dialling plan you will easily be able to make internal calls. Also, if you can use an ISDN gateway, rather than an analogue gateway the transmission quality will be much better. There will be less issues with echo. Call supervision messages are better over ISDN.
    Kind regards
    Richard Crabb

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. erickylaw

Re: "Unsupported IP Phone" GXW-4108 Gateway on remote site

Hi,

I have a similar situation. I can't create the remote GXW-4108 gateway in 3CX even it said created. Will you be able to add the gateway to 3CX ? Adding that gateway locally has no problem, but not through VPN.

BTW, I am using 3CX version 12, SP Version 6.1

Regards,

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.