• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Grandstream HandyTone HT503 FXO Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed24

Reaction score
I am new here and trying out 3CX for the first time, coming from using asterisk for many years.

I have a Grandstream HandyTone HT503 FXO Gateway which I had working on my Asterisk system by creating a dedicated extension for it and then creating a SIP trunk to use the HT503 for inbound and outbound calls. However, I just cannot figure out how this can be done on 3CX.

3CX seems to only support a hand full of PSTN gateways.

Does anyone know how I can go about using my HT503 so that I can make outbound calls through my PSTN line as well as send all inbound calls that come to my PSTN line to a certain extension or IVR?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Re: "Unsupported IP Phone" HandyTone HT503 FXO Gateway

In a nutshell (and if you have experience with the gateway on another PBX, the "experience" shouldn't be that different).

You will...

Create the trunk in 3CX. Make note of the port used as the gateway will have to be assigned the same port (5061?).

Register the FXO using the credentials from the trunk creation. Confirm in 3CX that it is registered.

Set the gateway for one stage dialling (outgoing)

For incoming, the gateway immediately call forwards incoming calls to the trunk number. Note... by immediately, I mean you may have to delay that by a few (3?) seconds to allow capture of the caller ID information so that it can be passed on to 3CX depending on the CID type your provider uses.

Actually it is a little different than what Leejor indicated. The device is not a traditional gateway. You may not like the functionality, but it does work.

First, you will need to create 2 new extensions on the system, one for the FXS port and the other for the FXO. On the FXO side, use port 5060 and then 5062 for the FXS (reverse of the default settings). For this discussion, I will use extension 200 for the FXO and extension 300 for the FXS. You will need to register both FXO and FXS to 3CX as you would any other phone extension.

On the basic settings tab on the HT503, you will need to setup the desired destination extension under "unconditional call forward to voip". This can be a system or phone extension. The HT, upon receiving a call using the PSTN phone number, will use IP calling to forward the call to the destination, So, for example, if you have an IVR set as system extension 800, you will need to enter 800 and followed by the IP and port (5060) of the 3CX system.

When you want to make a call, you will dial the extension 200 (FXO). This will present you with either a dial tone or a different special tone. If a dial tone, you may then dial the desired PSTN number as normal as you are connected to the PSTN line. If the special tone, it means that you must enter the PIN before the device will allow access to the PSTN, but once successfully input, you will then get the dial tone to proceed normally.

You can adjust the other settings as you like, but do not disable any settings that might cause direct SIP dialing to no longer function (they are listed next to the settings).

There is also a second method.

Create a peer SIP trunk using the IP address of the HT. Setup an outbound rule that will direct the desired calls to the HT. The HT will receive the string and then place the call directly to the PSTN network. Use 1 stage dialing.

As you did in the earlier method, go to the basic settings tab and input the desired extension where inbound calling should be directed. Any call received by the HT will be IP dialed to that system or phone extension.

This will avoid the secondary dial tone as in method 1. Also, using the FXO page, set the ring thru to FXS as no, set number of rings and ring thru delay to 2 for each (you may need to adjust accordingly for callerId if needed). Wait for dial tone should also be set to no.

lneblett, under the basic settings I have set the unconditional call forward to voip set to an extension. Under FXO settings I specified a extension and password that I created. So now when I receive a call it comes through but the caller display shows as the extension number that I have set in the FXO settings.

I also created a SIP trunk pointing to the HT but when I dial an external number it just rings but doesnt actually get forward to the number by the HT. Any ideas?

Also, the unconditional forwarding of a call to VOIP extension seems to have a lot of interference noise and volume seems extremely low. Any ideas how I can improve this?

Do the peer SIP trunk method only and let me know.
Can you supply some details of how the HT is physically connected into your network, what PSTN or country, where you have the PSTN line plugged into and anyother info that may provide some details?

lneblett, when you say "Do the peer SIP trunk method only" can you kindly explain the steps if possible?

Here is how the HT is connected:

There is a line port which is the FXO port, this goes directly to the wall phone socket. Then from the WAN port it's connected directly to my network. I tried LAN port but LAN port just doesnt seem to be accessible, it doesnt seem to get IP address or anything on the LAN port via DHCP. I then have a IP reserved for the HT.

see my earlier post on second method - peer sip. Use the WAN for Ethernet,. but where is the telephone line plugged?

lneblett said:
but where is the telephone line plugged?
My main phone line socket is on the wall, from the socket I have a RJ11 telephone cable connected straight into the Line port of the HT.

lneblett said:
see my earlier post on second method - peer sip. Use the WAN for Ethernet,

So for the SIP trunk, I got to SIP trunks > add new Provider > Give it a Name > Select country as Generic > Then select provider as Generic SIP trunk > then click next > then for SIP server and outbound proxy I set the HT IP address and 5060 as port? > then What do I set External number as and Simultaneous calls as 1 > then next set Inbound to connect to Extension > then Outbound rule 7-12 digits goes through the SIP trunk.

Is that correct? This is what I did last night but outbound calls where not getting to the PSTN line. Only thing that was working was the unconditional forwarding of PSTN calls to the extension set in the basic settings.

and did you set the rest of the settings as I indicated. Set requires registration for in and outbound calls to not required. You can set the phone number to anything you like. Try dialing out with the phone line in both phone and line and see.

lneblett said:
and did you set the rest of the settings as I indicated. Set requires registration for in and outbound calls to not required. You can set the phone number to anything you like. Try dialing out with the phone line in both phone and line and see.

I will try this later tonight when I get back home. Will update you. Thanks.

HI,

Did you have any luck with this ? I have the same issue , however when I make outbound calls it says 'Forbidden'.

Inbound calls route fine to the extension but show the fx0 extension name rather then caller id.

Thanks

lneblett, I gave up with the SIP trunk method as it just was not working and instead created an extension 801 which I then used to register the FXO port of the HT503 to. So now when I call the extension 801, I get an immediate dial-tone from my telephone line, but problem is when I try and enter any number the dialtone doesnt go away and hence not acknowledging that I am actually dialling a number. Any ideas what can be wrong?

Thanks

Hi,

Reading this thread, I thought let’s jump in… maybe I can help.
Usually for a single PSTN connection (I/O) I make use of a SPA3102, but reading this thread I thought let’s try the HT503 to see if I can manage a I/O connection.

Please follow this steps for HT503:
- Upgrade the HT503 to f/w 1.0.4.100
- Reset the device to factory default
- Make sure you use a fixed IP-address for the HT503
- HT503 and 3CX PBX must be on the same LAN
- Setup in “Basic Settings” the right Time Zone
- Setup in “Advanced Settings” the right Call Progress Tones
- De-activate FXS port
- Setup in “FXO Port” your country settings and…
FXO Termination
- Number of Rings: 2
- PSTN Ring Thru FXS: No
- PSTN Ring Thru Delay (sec): 1
Channel Dialing
- Wait for Dial-Tone: No
- Stage Method (1/2): 1

Now in 3CX please follow next steps:
- Create an extension/IVR
- Create Generic PSTN Gateway
- Gateway IP-adres: <HT503>
- Gateway Port: 5062
- During creation, setup Inbound Route to previous created ext/IVR
- Copy SIP ID, Auth ID and Password to HT503 FXO (type in, do not copy/paste!!!!)

Now setup “Basic Settings” HT503
- Unconditional Call Forward to VOIP: <previous created ext/IVR>@<Local IP PBX>:5060

Check if HT503 is registered

Now you can make and receive calls through PSTN.

Good luck.

Reactions: Jonathan Deane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YBow
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.