Grandstream HT704 ATA

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by csp, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csp

csp

Hello ,

I was trying to install and configure a Grand stream HT704 ATA so i can connect a fax machine.

I made an extension in the 3cx console and then put the information into the Grandstream but it cant register the extension.

Please advise.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Re: "Unsupported IP Phone" HT704 ATA

If configured correctly, then there should be no reason that it will not work with 3CX.

Assuming you have created the extension and that the HT has a valid IP, then:
    1. Enable the account on the HT.
    2. Use the 3CX local IP as the SIP server entry
    3. Use the extension number as the local account/User as well as for the AuthID
    4, From the extension in 3CX take the password and plug that into the HT.

Look at the logs if this does not work and see if the system has any entries that may provide a clue as to why it will not work. You may also want to check the in the settings, security and blacklist as perhaps the device was blacklisted when you were working with it.

Ne advised that faxing Is quite difficult in this manner. Using the HT as an extension will only make use of G711 as the system does not support t.38 except when using the system generated fax extension. You will likely be faced with far more failures than successes.

3. csp

csp

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply.

I have done the 4 steps you mention but still it doesn't register. Also checked the Blacklist and is nothing there.
    I check in the HT704 and it supports the T38 for fax. So if we assume that i will make it work and register successful i may have some issues receiving and sending faxes? Does it count if my Sip provider supports the T38 protocol through sip ?

Is it a way to make this easy to send and receive faxes with 3CX without a 3rd party ATA ?

Please advise.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Faxing through an ATA can be hit and miss. Even the make and model of your fax machine can be a factor in making it work, consistently. That said...

Have you checked that 3CX server logs, after a registration attempt, to see if there is an error log? Did you assign the device a static IP and confirm that the gateways and DNS information is correct? If it is, and the server IP is correct, you should see a log even if it is rejected because of an incorrect extension setting. If that does happen too many times, 3CX will blacklist the IP.

5. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

With regard to your t38 question.......

No, it matters not that the provider supports t38. As long as you intend to use the HT as a regular extension off of 3CX, the extension will only use a voice codec. The 3CX media server only supports t38 when you are using the 3CX internal fax extensions which is receive only.

If you were to set-up the ATA with its own registration and number to the provider (all outside of 3CX), then the HT would use t38 if the provider is sending t38.

I can only caution that t38 is a protocol designed to overcome some of the issues associated to a switched packet network. Its degree of success is directly dependent upon the stability and reliability of the carriers between you and your provider and again between your provider and wherever the distant fax is located and what kind of carrier/provider they use.

I have set up a number of Patton, Grandstream, Planet, Cisco and other ATAs in search of the Holy Grail for faxing and I can only say that some makes appear to be a little better than others, but none will compare to a POTS line. The best I have found is from NetGen Communications. Even better is a FaxBochs device that uses HTTP. It approaches POTS reliability but comes at a price.

Personally, I wish that faxes would go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.