grandstream phones constantly ringing after update

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by manfer, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manfer

The last 3CX update has been annoying.

I have upgraded 3 clients PBX to v.15.5 SP3 and what a mess. I upgraded then remotely on saturday morning. I tested one of then with a grandstream GXP2130 phone because I wanted to test CSTA. That feature worked correctly but I noticed that each time the phone was registered to the PBX it just started ringing till ring timeout.

The phone showed on the screen it was being called by itself, from his own extension. The PBX was not aware of a call in progress.

The GXP2130 phone had firmware version 1.9.0.26 which is the last stable one from grandstream and was working properly on 3CX v15.5 SP2 though lately it started showing the annoying not compatible firmware red warning which we had to explain to the client the best we could.

I took captures on the phone and there were no invite messages at all. Maybe there is something on the 407 register challenge message reply from PBX that makes the phone start ringing.

I updated the phone firmware to version 1.9.0.60 beta and the phone stopped doing that annoying thing.

I didn't realize on that moment it was a PBX update issue. I just thought it could be because of the network where I was doing the remote tests through SBC. I thought about SIP ALG but it was disable on router. Anyway, I didn't pay to much attention to the problem on that moment. What an error!

On sunday afternoon when I decided to take a look to one of the clients PBX I found out all GXP2130 phones on that office were showing ringing icon on the UI. A real headache to update those phones to stop that. And they were quite a few.

I checked the other client which had a lot more phones. Again all phones ringing. I had to disable SIP service on 3CX and wait till phones lost registration because the phones were totally blocked. When ringing you can't change any configuration on grandstream phones.

The phones on this two clients offices where upgraded to the firmware provided by 3CX 1.9.0.58.

GXP2140 phones on firmware version 1.9.0.26 were not affected by this problem nor the one I had upgraded to 1.9.0.60 beta version.

But today I had upgraded some GXP2140 phones on my office to the firmware 1.9.0.58 provided by 3CX and same ringing problem that happens with version 1.9.0.26 on GXP2130 phones appeared. It doesn't happen so often on these phones but it happens.

Any clue of what is going on. Any configuration I have to change?

Very very very very very annoying updated. Very upset.

The more I work on VoIP the more I'm disappointed with providers. When there is not a PBX bug, there is a trunk provider problem, a phone firmware bug, ... If you don't upgrade there are bugs, if you upgrade some are solved but others added.

I would really appreciate more stability no matter if upgrades come at a slower pace.

Sorry the large message.

1tb and sip.bg like this.
  2. voiptoys

voiptoys Member

My understanding is that 3CX has a beta firmware (clearly stated in the compatibility notes) that must be installed to overcome the ringing issue. Use 3CX to download and apply the "3CX" firmware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. manfer

Can you better explain what compatibility notes you talk about. Thanks.

#3 manfer, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. manfer

I had looked the captured pcap files more and I had finally found there are actually invite request from the extension to itself just after a notify from system extension 999.

5. voiptoys

voiptoys Member

I think it was in the SP3 announcement? Now that you ask, I'm not sure where I read it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. manfer

I'm sure I missed something. My fault. Normally I install the beta myself on office to test but had not the time with this last one and besides, if I'm not wrong, it hasn't been too long in beta.

I can't understand anyway how a phone that was working perfectly on v15.5 SP2 and that works correctly on any other PBX I had tried with its firmware 1.9.0.26, suddenly shows that incredible annoying behaviour on 3CX v15.5 SP3.

7. Aram

Aram Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

@manfer
    Hi,
    Grandstream phones are supported starting from the FW versions specified in the following manuals:
    https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/grandstream-gxp16-series/
    https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/grandstream-gxp17-series/
    https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/grandstream-gxp21-series/

To have your phones fully functional you need to have these FW versions on your phones and they need to be provisioned using the default provisioning templates.
    We can't quarantine the correct functionality of the phones with the older versions or provisioned using the custom provisioning templates.

According to your description (that it works on SP2) I'm assuming that you are using the custom template (because on SP2 we didn't have the template for these Grandstream phones at all) which can't be supported by 3CX.
    Please use the supported FW version and default provisioning template and it will fix your problem.

8. manfer

You are asuming something really weird in my opinion. That a VoIP phone has to be autoprovisioned to work. That's not the case. A phone can be manually configured to work when you know what you are doing.

I think what you should do is tell us what is causing the phone to ring and what configuration option/s we need on the phone to stop this.

As I have made captures on the phone I can say the phone is receiving the INVITE requests from the PBX. The difference I noticed is that these INVITE requests are of type application/csta+xml instead of type application/sdp. So I suppose this is related to CSTA feature.

I can think of the PBX trying to know if the phone supports CSTA. But for sure 3CX can explain us what those application/csta+xml INVITE requests after registration from a extension to itself are for.

Besides I can tell you that in production I would never never never never use a template that configures "Action URI Allowed IP List" with value "any" opening remote control to any IP.

If you can clarify this I can start configuring the phones better. And start writing my own templates if needed.

9. Aram

Aram Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

@manfer

1. I didn't say that the "That a VoIP phone has to be autoprovisioned to work.". Here are my words:
    "We can't quarantine the correct functionality of the phones with the older versions or provisioned using the custom provisioning templates."
    And it's correct. We can't know what type of changes you did in your custom template and of course, we can't quarantine that all features will work properly if you provisioned your phone using that custom template.

2. Did you try to provision at least 1 Grandstream phone (running supported FW version) using the default template? Is it ringing after that?

3. You are right, the phones are ringing because of the uaCSTA requests, but they are ringing not because of some issue. No, they are ringing because the CSTA feature is not enabled on these phones. 3CX default provisioning template is enabling this parameter and the phones are working as expected and not ringing.
    Your custom template is not containing that parameter and this is why your phones are ringing.
    Usually, when people preparing their own templates they are making research on their own and finding all needed parameters and adding them to the custom templates.
    I'll save your time and help you this time. Here is the CSTA parameter:
    <!-- CSTA control. 0 - Disable, 1 - Enabled. Default is 0. -->
    <P32053>1</P32053>

You need to add this to your template and re-provision the phones.
    NOTE: Be sure that all your phones are running the 3CX supported FW versions.

4. About the "Action URI Allowed IP List".
    Yes, the value of "Action URI Allowed IP List" parameter is 'any', but to use it the application (or something/someone else) need to know the admin password of the phone, which is provisioned (by 3CX default template) to be secure. So, it's not so easy to use it.

And the last thing.
    3CX is updating the provisioning template approximately with each Service Pack update.
    We are adding or removing some functionality on the phones to make them fully functional with the latest 3CX Phone System. If your custom templates are old and not synchronized with the latest 3CX templates than you will have missed functionality and incorrect behavior.
    So, if you are using the custom template, please synchronize them with the latest 3CX templates.

10. manfer

Indeed you said exactly what you quote "you can't guarantee". I don't need really that, what I need is to know how your PBX is working to create my own templates or configure phones manually.

Yes. That's exactly how I know "Action URI Allowed IP List" parameter is configured with value 'any' on your template. And yes phone is not ringing when provisioned.

So, why 3CX is sending those request on the first place to phones that doesn't support it?

The PBX is intelligent enough to show a red warning on the phones list page stating that the phones are on firmware version 1.9.0.26 but not intelligent enough to stop sending CSTA requests to it?

I don't know if it can know if CSTA is enable/disable somehow on version 1.9.0.58 and above to stop sending those requests, but at least should know earlier versions doesn't support it and stop sending those requests.

I will never use a template that sets that value to 'any'. The router can be enough to stop attempts to control the phone remotely too and it is not reason enough to relax security. VoIP fraud is constantly growing.

I suggest you include a new variable on phone template in which to configure an IP list and a new field on the custom parameters on the provisioning form so we can add a value there. You can even default it to any if you want but please allow us to customize it.

In the meanwhile I will customize that parameter manually and not from a template.

That was exactly my fault not testing myself because of lack of time thinking I could trust a final release version.

Now that I'm sure is related to CSTA I can start testing if upgrading the phones is enough to stop the ringing or if enabling CSTA on the phone is needed too to stop the ringing or if I have to allow CSTA from the PBX IP too to stop the ringing.

Just upgrading if not totally makes the ringing issue disappear almost totally.

Thanks.

#10 manfer, Feb 13, 2018
  11. voiptoys

voiptoys Member

Interesting points by both Aram and manfer. It seems to me that the first step is to upgrade your firmware to the 3CX recommended version, and apply the 3CX provided templates, then see if the problem goes away. If it does, then make any needed customizations to the new 3CX templates. This has always been the only valid approach. In fact, even with 3CX templates, when you upgrade 3CX you have to copy your template changes to the new template. You can't use the old template with the new version of 3CX. But, no doubt, you already knew that.

Still, I can never complain about a technical person wanting to know the "why" rather than just the "how". I applaud your willingness to dive in and get to the "why and how". Yet, expressing frustration with 3CX when you are running newly supported phones (beta) in ways that 3CX hasn't tested, seems .... counterproductive. If you want all the phone features that 3CX provides, then I would suggest you start with the supported platform, and work from there.

I hope this doesn't sound ... confrontational. It's not intended that way. Just offering a logical approach to move your situation forward.

accentlogic and phonemaster like this.
  12. manfer

I was wrong about this. The GXP2140 phones on 1.9.0.26 has same ringing problem.

For my test I would say that this is not needed. Just upgrading the phone to v1.9.0.58 or above should be enough.
    • On firmware v1.9.0.58 (or above) if you have CSTA disable the phone replies to the CSTA INVITE request that is sended on register with a "415 Unsopported Media Type" and it doesn't ring.
    • On firmware v1.9.0.58 (or above) if you have CSTA enable the phone replies to the CSTA INVITE request that is sended on register with a "200 OK" and it does not ring.
    • On firmware v1.9.0.26 (no CSTA on/off switch as it doesn't support CSTA) the phone replies to those CSTA INVITE requests with a 100 Trying followed by 180 Ringing as if it were a SDP INVITE.
    So all this mess could had been avoided just if 3CX were not sending those CSTA INVITE requests to a phone that they actually know doesn't support it.

For me it is ok to debate. The better things work less headaches for me. And always willing to learn.

I want to know the why because I work on VoIP for a living. Understanding the SIP messages is important to me to debug the amount of problems that arise when you have to deal with a huge amount of phones, gateways, PBXs, trunk providers... And I have still a lot to learn.

It was my fault indeed not testing SP3 version myself before upgrading as I use to do. Murphy's law. When you do the tests all works fine. You don't do once and the problem arise.

About the templates it is not the problem at all. Phones can be provisioned manually. Autoprovision is just a way to automate the provisioning process. Nothing else. A phone which is just manually provisioned with SIP credentials to register it to the PBX so it can start to make and receive calls shouldn't ring by itself.

I have been working day after day with grandstream phones for more than two years now. Installing and testing each new version and a lot of the betas. Reading its new features and bug fixes. I know each and every configuration option it has. I know exactly how their P values work. I know perfectly were to download the grandstream file that lists all new P values they add on each new version.

I was one of the people that asked on granstream forums for CSTA support to use it with 3CX as other brands had already included that CTI standarization on their firmwares months ago.

I read for the first time about the inclusion of CSTA feature on grandstream GXP21xx phones from grandstream firmware v.1.9.0.60 realease notes. I tested it on 3CX v15.5 SP2 (days before upgrading to SP3) with a GXP2140 phone upgraded to v.1.9.0.60 beta firmware and worked fine.

After reading some other messages on the forums today I see I had not been the only one affected by this weird issue.

It is fine that 3CX engineers just say the phone is not 'fully' supported on old firmwares. Maybe they can say that a phone shouldn't treat an application/csta+xml request as if it were an application/sdp request and such request should be ignored if the phone doesn't know how to interpret it. Just maybe. I'm not quite sure myself. I haven't read SIP RFC so much in depth to know how content type header should be interpreted.

But probably any phone that doesn't support CSTA would be as fooled with that INVITE request as grandstream GXP21xx phone on firmware 1.9.0.26 does.
    http://forum.yealink.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=40998

So what I'm sure is that 3CX could have easily avoided this issue if they had tested more SP3 on grandstream phones. Not sending those INVITE requests to phones on firmware v1.9.0.26 or below would had been common sense.

I can only imagine they should had already know this would happen from their expected experience when introducing CSTA support for other phone brands.

I wonder if they had done the same when they introduced CSTA support on yealink phones.

I still can't understand how the firmware version information is used to show a warning on 3CX management phone list page and had not been used to avoid this issue.

#12 manfer, Feb 13, 2018
  13. Aram

Aram Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi manfer,

I'll try to explain to you why the firmware version information can't be used to avoid this issue.
    So, according to you, if the FW version is 1.9.0.26, 3CX should not send CSTA request. Okay.
    Let say 3CX did it.
    Now, the another 1.9.0.42 version, can handle the CSTA request, but can't make an attended transfer.
    What 3CX should do? Doesn't allow the CSTA if's 1.9.0.26 and doesn't allow the attended transfer if it's 1.9.0.42?
    Let say 3CX did this one too.
    Now the next 1.9.0.58 version can handle the CSTA and attended transfer, but, let say, can't handle the CTI requests. What to do now? Doesn't allow the CSTA if's 1.9.0.26, doesn't allow the attended transfer if it's 1.9.0.42 and doesn't allow the CTI if it's 1.9.0.58?
    Now imagine that this need to be done not only for the Grandstream phones but for all supported IP Phones. We need to know all possible FW versions that users can have. All possible issues on these FW versions (they can be known or even unknown). Does the phone manufacturers provided some custom FW versions to the customers. What these custom firmware versions were fixing. And etc... etc... etc...
    Believe me, we tried, it's not possible.
    This why we are getting the latest FW from the phone manufacturer, testing it, requesting some fixes and modifications and publishing it as a 3CX supported FW version. It's one file, one version and this version is supported by 3CX. If the user wants to have a fully functional phone he needs to use the 3CX FW version and 3CX default template (or, at least, synchronize his custom template with latest default one). That's all. This the only way that can be used to have fully functional phones.

apostolis_3CX and phonemaster like this.
  14. phonemaster

Guys, I just read this loooooong conversation and can't understand one think - why we, 3cx customers, can't follow the 3cx rules and do what they are telling us?
    They are spending time and resources to provide us with the supported phone firmware versions, preparing the provisioning templates for us, adding new provisioning features for us and WE ARE STILL COMPLAINING????
    Com on guys!!! Let them do their job instead of telling us why phones, running the not supported firmware version, are ringing.....

We are installing the 3CX PBX to our customers during the last 2 years. We found some small issues , but we are still very happy with it.
    First we were using only the Yealink and Fanvil phones in our installations, but suddenly we tried the Grandstream phones too (supported models with the supported FW version) and we are still happy.
    Good job 3CX, keep it up!!!!

15. manfer

Really, seriously? Are you comparing a bug on a grandstream phone that obviously can't be controlled by 3CX with a new feature not backward compatible that I'm sure you know the exactly firmware version when it was introduced. Or you should.

And you are telling me it can't be done using such an argument.

I didn't say you have to test for 1.9.0.26 version, but 1.9.0.26 and below (or 1.9.0.x or bellow, ..., whatever version when CSTA was introduced, or 1.9.0.58 and bellow -your firmware- to be sure the phone supports CSTA and is supported by you)

I repeat this is not a template issue. It has nothing to do with templates. It is just a matter of a firmware supporting CSTA or not so it can understand CSTA requests and reply them properly. I can't understand why you continue talking about templates.

I don't know what 3CX had said to you but on every webinar I had attended I always had been said that the fact that grandstream phones were not on the supported list doesn't mean they can not be used. So they should be quite aware there were grandstream phones on production.

And I'm happy too with 3CX and that doesn't mean I don't like the problems introduced on SP3.

Noob likes this.
  16. Aram

Aram Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

manfer,

I'm very happy that you are happy with 3CX. Thank you!
    I tried to explain you why we can't handle the old not supported firmware versions but you don't want to understand it and contentiously talking about one particular issue.
    For us "missed functionality" or "wrong functionality" is the same - firmware is not supported. That's all. And we will not investigate the phone functionality using that not supported FW version.
    Anyway, I spent my time and provided you with your issue expiation and solutions.
    Now it's up to you to use them or continue this conversation. I'll not continue this anymore.
    3CX can guarantee the correct functionality of the phones ONLY if they are running the supported firmware versions!

17. phonemaster

Really? YX, Koontech, Welltech and thousand another Chinese phones are also not supported by 3CX too. So what, they "should be quite aware" of these phones too?
    And don't tell me about the company sizes. Grandstream phones are popular yes, but the Koontech and Welltech phones are quite popular in Asia, Japan and Russia. So what, 3CX should be quite aware" of these phones too?
    No, I don't think so.
    You are using your phones with 3CX PBX, so follow the 3CX rules and use your phones with 3CX supported version.
    Sorry if this sound a bit severe.

Aram likes this.
  18. Noob

Good Morning,

I had the same problem, and it is very embarrassing, especially as IT manager and 3cx opologist as implementer, explain the management of a company, where the business lives on the phones, it will have to stop one day to solve the problem .

How to explain to the company that made a recent investment, that after all the phones are no longer supported on some models, and what's going to have to change everything?

Solution to phones constantly ringing after update:

The phones when they are playing do not let you make the changes.

1. download the firmware on the page of 3cx
    https://www.3cx.com/support/phone-firmwares/
    2. change the account ext. password in 3cx so that the phone does not register
    3.create a TFTP, and put the files made available by 3CX
    https://www.grandstream.com/sites/default/files/Resources/Firmware_Upgrade_Guide.pdf
    4. on the machine that will have TFTP, turn off the firewall and antivirus
    5. on the phones, restart and log in, change the settings to update via FTP
    and restart.

Good luck.

#18 Noob, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    accentlogic likes this.
  19. manfer

I'm almost sure those phones of the brands you refer to, can be provisioned with a 3CX extension and will not ring because they are not going to reveive CSTA requests unless 3CX decided to send CSTA requests to any connected phone on v15.5 SP3.

I will test with an old Yealink phone that I suppose is not on the list of 3CX CSTA supported devices.

You can use any SIP phone with any PBX that implements SIP protocol and that should still be possible with 3CX v15.5 SP3.

20. manfer

So I have tested a Yealink T26P and it works and it does not ring unexpectedly but it is not because it does not receive the CSTA request but because it correctly rejects such a request with a "488 Not Acceptable Here" reply.

So looks as of v15.5 SP3 those new CSTA request has been implemented on 3CX PBX and will be sended to any registered phone. If the phone is not able to handle the CSTA request properly or to properly reject it if it can't handle the request then it will ring unexpectedly thinking it is receiving a phone call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.