• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Group pickup - what is a group

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccomley

Reaction score
I have a setup where MOST of the phones in the office ring with incoming calls (Ring group 800, ring-together) however two users do not want to be in the group.

I have a SECOND ring group, 801, which has everyone in it, including these two users.

Incoming calls to the 800 group, however, the two users not IN that group can't pick up with *20*.

(a) Will *20*800 work for them, or will they be barred from doing it as they are not *in* group 800?

(b) is there another way of defining them as in the same group for call pickup purposes without having to include them in the ring group?

Have you tested this scenario?

Create a dummy ring group and add 1 extension.

Then call that ring group form another line. Then try to pick it up from another phone.

If I recall, what you are trying to do WILL WORK.

Except it isn't. But I need to revisit the site. I programmed *20* onto the bottom BLF key of all their extensions but it's *possible* that went awry on the phone of the person who says he can't get pickup to work.

Then again, "group pickup" does imply you can only pick up withIN a group, or else on a larger system it'd be a nightmare!! I'm just trying to get a definitive answer of what "group" the group pickup stays within! :)

I would do *20*800 to pick up just that "line".
I have an Ops Admin and an Accounting Admin with a *20*4000 key to pickup the main receptionist line and they are in 3 different groups: Building, Operations, Accounting. (Extension groups, not Ring Groups).

Indeed, I was hoping *20*800 would do the trick and have asked them to try it prior to configuring a memory button.

I haven't set up any Extension Groups there - there are only ten people and all in the same open plan office, so it doesn't need complexity. Would THAT be what "group" the "group pickup" means?? Someone surely knows. Or is the expression a hang-over from legacy days and doesn't' really mean it any more?

Where are you getting the term "group pickup"?

*20* and its derivatives is a call pickup.

Possible issue #1 - call pickup and other dial codes are not supported in the free edition.
Possible issue #2 - part of the problem might be how you have the extensions grouped. If you will look at the tab for extensions, you will see that you can group the extensions into various groupings which can afford some ease in programming and/or limiting the outbound rules set-up and other functionality. Used in conjunction with the General Settings, Global Options, and the setting "limit call pickup to calls received within their extension group", may be affecting your situation. This setting is intended to keep calls for sales (as an example) from being picked-up by accounting.

If there are no limitations imposed anywhere within the system, then *20* will pickup any call occuring at that time; presumably starting with the oldest first if multiple calls are occuring, at any extension connected to the system. *20*EXT allows for the call pickup to occur for a call that is currently ringing at that EXT.

The ring group is simply a call handling, ring option functionality, but not the "group" meaning as you are asking. I am unaware if a *20*800 will function to pickup a call within a ring group as I have not tried it. Assuming you are not using the free edition and possibility #2 is not a factor, then you could certainly try it and see. Alternatively, you could also try the *20* EXT using anyone of he extension numbers that are ringing and see.

If you would be so kind to report back the results, that would be helpful for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.