• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Grouping phones and different directions for the same number

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjwerkman

Reaction score
Is it possible to create several groups, and that for each group i.e. the 9 (when dialed) has another (internal) direction?
I.e. when the 9 is dialed in a branch office the call is redirected to the reception of that branch office. And so on for every branch office. In this situation whe have one centralized 3CX server and the offices are connected via VPN.

Re: Grouping phones and different directions for the same nu

well if the offices are connected via VPN to central 3cx all the extension will be the same (in the same LAN), there is no prefixes, you can add group extension but they will be all "local extension", and with that group you can adjust outbound rules, it`s looking better in myphone...

Youd simply have to set a ring group for extension 9 and include those phones you want to have ring at the other locations. Since your using a vpn that will make it much easier to send those calls across your WAN.

@jpillow, It is not exactly what I mean. In my situations I need for every branch office a extension 9. So when someone at branch office A dial's the 9, he/she is connected with the Reception at Branch Office A. Same for Branch Office B, someone dial's the 9 and he/she is connected to the Reception at Branch Office B. And so on for other Branch Offices.

all on the same 3cx server? don't think you'll be able to do that as you can not assign a receptionist to a group - kind of along the same lines.

Craig - to clarify -

You have one 3CX server that is serving multiple physical locations that are all connected via VPN, which presumably then makes it all look like one homogenous network with one LAN, correct? Then, within each of the physical locations there is a designated receptionist and the desire is that no matter which physical building I am in at the moment, should I pick up a phone and dial "9", you want that call directed to the designated receptionist for that same building; is this correct?

I assume, for the moment, that external calls are handled and do not really present a problem.

So, the problem seems to be how to distinguish what logically appears as a grouping of extensions known as "9", but due to the physical location, needing to ensure that each "9" is truly unique. Conceivably, you might be able to modify the dial plan in the phones such that when they they see the single "9", they substitute the real extension number for that building's receptionist. You could use the SIP ID (other tab) to further help as there is nothing that stops you from defining extension 212, for instance, as another number. The issue as I see it is that every phone in a given building will need some modification made to the dial plan.

Just off the top of my head...
Could you not create different outbound rules, that all deal with the digit 9. then put the extensions into these different rules (so that the rules only apply to certain groups). The rules would take the 9 and delete it but substitute an extension number. Then create an outbound "loop" trunk (see http://www.3cx.com/forums/redirecting-outbound-call-to-an-extension-28667.html) that would take the digits that the 9 was changed to, and send it back into 3CX , thus ringing the desired extension.

leejor said:
Just off the top of my head...
Could you not create different outbound rules, that all deal with the digit 9. then put the extensions into these different rules (so that the rules only apply to certain groups). The rules would take the 9 and delete it but substitute an extension number. Then create an outbound "loop" trunk (see http://www.3cx.com/forums/redirecting-outbound-call-to-an-extension-28667.html) that would take the digits that the 9 was changed to, and send it back into 3CX , thus ringing the desired extension.

That should work...and thanks for that link, I can see that coming in handy in the future.

netswork said:
thanks for that link, I can see that coming in handy in the future.

Since outbound rules can be used for outbound calls, it's the only way to "manipulate" calls to internal numbers. (other than a dialplan in the set or ATA.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.