Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

GXP Firmware upgrade

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by vitor, Jan 7, 2019.

1. vitor

hello

first time doing phone provisioning... need some help

i have done the following procedure... (https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/manually-provision-supported-grandstream-gxp/)

and have also downloaded the firmware file from 3cx website and added to the folder (C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\marjmzp3g7k0\firmware_new)

and rebooted the phone (after setup) but the phone still keep with the same firmware version....
    is there something wrong?

thanks
    Vitor

2. jakem

I have found the firmware_new vs firmware folders to be part of the issue. Documentation seems to vary as to where the file should be. If one doesn't work, try the other.

I have also found that 3CX will overwrite that file. Unfortunate that 3CX doesn't better support the Grandstream firmware. The version that is supported currently was pulled by Grandstream due to a major bug with calls not picking up. 3CX is 3 versions behind currently.

3. vitor

Hi @jakem
    I did upload the file on both folders.. but didnt work
    is there any manual way to upgrade the GXP firmware?
    thanks

4. jakem

The server will tend to "upgrade" the phones to a lower version if you do it manually. I would recommend checking the little things. I beat my head against the wall for an hour once before I realized I had the wrong GXP firmware file, I had the GXP2130 instead of GXP2160. Make sure the file ends in .bin not .zip, etc. I have done this a number of times, and the method you used should work, so check the little things.

5. vitor

thanks.. will try... im downloading directly from 3cx webiste... =(

6. jakem

Download from grand stream's website. http://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware

Like I said, the current 3CX firmware is junk. It sounds like you may not even have the phones in the 3CX server yet though, the server will automatically download any 3CX firmware if it is available, the problem right now is that the version hosted by 3CX is crap.

7. vitor

yes... i did the download form this URL.

i have an issue, when I do any phone configuration change I receive a incoming call... have you faced it?

thanks

8. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @vitor

From your description i would assume that the phones are already provisioned and working. If so then the 3CX supported firmware should be available for download in the Updates tab of the PBX (if you are using a supported model).
    Once you download it you should be able to update the phones through the management console. To be able to provide more accurate information please let us know how the phones are provisioned Local, Stun or SBC), what GXP models are you using and the current firmware the phones are running.
    Also manually adding a firmware in the firmware folder won't work as the PBX reads the available firmware version from a file that gets updated once a new firmware is downloaded.

9. vitor

hello @support

im using GXP 1610 - Im using local provision process.
    the phone firmware version is

Product Model
    GXP1610

Software Version

Boot

Core

Base

Prog

Locale

Recovery

Its possilble to FORCE software upgrade?
    How can I make sure the provision is working?

thanks

10. HRMNY

/var/lib/3cxpbx/Instance1/Data/Http/Interface/provisioning/XXXXXXXXXX/firmware_new/grandstream

Overwrite the .bin with the newer version.

Edit firmwares.json,
    Changed the following fields to match the new firmware number.
    "Version":
    "ServerVersion":
    "LocalVersion":

Reboot the server, and update the phones.

11. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

When will 3cx release a firmware fix for the GS Phones?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. vitor

@craig

the version 1.0.4.125 still have this "incoming ring" error?

thanks

13. vitor

still the same... dont know if im missing something...

14. alan nogueira

Hello Victor,

There are many ways to do it, explained at 3cx tutorials.

The easiest one is loggin into your 3cx panel -> Phones -> select your Grandstream in the list (you have to provision it first) -> then click "Firmware" button. It will install automatically.

Here´s the link: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/manually-provision-supported-grandstream-gxp/

Unfortunately, it didn´t work for me.

The way i found was changing the update server in the phones gui:

1) open web browser and type your Grandstream´s IP address

2) the default user / password is admin / admin (if you have provisioned it in 3cx, the user is admin and the password you can see at the 3cx control panel -> extensions - click in the "password" button and use the one listed in the "Phone pwd" collumm - ITS DIFFERENT FROM YOUR EXTENSION PASSWORD).

3) Click "Manteinence" -> Upgrade and provisioning

4) At "Firmware" change "Firmware Upgrade via" to "HTTP" and Firmware server Path to "firmware.grandstream.com" and click "Save and apply".

5) Your phone will reboot and install the firmware. It will take several minutes...

6) After installing, factory reset your phone https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/factory-reset-grandstream-gxp/

7) Then you should provision your grandstream again (the full tutorial for this model: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/grandstream-gxp16-series/

Have a good luck, if you have any doubts please ask

Alan